Tokyo Japan (Day Four)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
May 20th 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mount FujiMount FujiMount Fuji

the large mountain in the distance from our hotel room
Day four started off dreary as it had rained the night before and was drizzling come morning. So as it cleared up and we sat watching some funny Japanese TV while surfing the net and getting ready we were graced with a brief opportunity to see Mount Fuji. If it wasn’t for Shawn being alert, we would’ve missed the small window of time we had to see it. Luckily it was right out our window so we snapped a few pictures as the clouds cleared.

Upon kind of clearing up, it was still overcast, we set out on our next journey. Since it wasn’t overly gorgeous out we opted to go take in the Tokyo National Museum. Since we got such a late start to the day we were unable to hit the Nature and Science Museum located right next to it, but it looked neat from the outside. The Tokyo National Museum had a lot to offer. Filled with artifacts ranging from samurai armor, helmets and swords to pottery and linens. Some items were not permitted to be photographed (primarily anything religious related or donated by a private collector) but we did manage to collect quite a
Mount FujiMount FujiMount Fuji

the large mountain in the distance from our hotel room
few photographs from the other items strewn throughout the two story museum.

After we wrapped up at the museum pretty much upon it closing for the day we meandered around the area, unfortunately missing out on some things due to closing times. We did happen to see the Grand Fountain and the Statue of Prince Komatsu No Miya Akihito before winding up at Ueno Toshogu. Upon reaching the grounds of the shrine we strolled along the path which was full of copper lanterns. As we got closer to the main entrance of the shrine we came across a memorial. The Flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a monument which had a small flame burning in the middle of it. A very interesting piece, and great descriptive sign to correspond with it. After we paid our small admission fee we strolled around the outside fence of the shrine to get to the entrance. There were some more lanterns, a nice little shrine and a very scenic area. Upon reaching the main entrance we removed out shoes (first time we had to do so all trip) and went inside. No photographs were permitted inside but we wanted to snap some so badly as it was simply amazing inside. After we exited we took some more photos outside of the building and of some very nicely shaped trees.

Strolling along back towards the subway station we encountered some more stray cats. We also ran into the Ueno Great Buddha & Pagoda. It was closed by the time we arrived but we were still able to see most of it from the outside. We also saw an interesting totem pole, a frog fountain and some more flowers on our trek. Finally we ended back to the subway terminal which also happened to have a Hard Rock Café in it so we grabbed a bite to eat and some good beer! I had a Heineken, which came with a scratch off game piece which I managed to win a magnet (they ended up giving me two). That was the most refreshing beer I’ve had, especially after sampling some Japanese beer in our hotel room, which wasn’t that good at all. After dinner we pretty much called it a day and headed back to the hotel for some relaxation and Japanese TV.


Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Tokyo National MuseumTokyo National Museum
Tokyo National Museum

special exhibit building
Tokyo National MuseumTokyo National Museum
Tokyo National Museum

saddle and stirrups
Tokyo National MuseumTokyo National Museum
Tokyo National Museum

statue. anyone see a resemblance to Dragonball Z?


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb