Sapporo Snow Festival


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
March 24th 2007
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone…… I know it has been a long time since I have posted, but they are still having problems with the email notifications on the blog website, so I haven’t felt as “pressured” to post an entry. In addition, as we get more and more settled, we are going out exploring more and more, which leaves less time for sitting at the computer. Marc has become really busy at work, and while he likes it very much, his hours are a bit strange with telephone conferences back to the states at odd hours (due to the time changes). I have been very busy with finishing needlework projects, housework, cooking, baking and various classes. Last week in my Japanese cooking class I learned how to prepare squid. NOT THAT I’LL BE PREPARING ANY OR EATING ANY!!!!!!!!

I realize this is almost the end of March, but I wanted to post an entry about our trip up to Sapporo in February for the Sapporo Snow Festival. (I need to get this post done before it is time to post an entry about the cherry blossoms!!)

In early February, we flew from Tokyo to Sapporo for the 58th Annual Sapporo Snow Festival. There are several parts to this festival and various competitions. First is the large snow sculptures constructed by the Japanese. Some of these sculptures represented other countries and some were built by companies. Second is the International Snow Sculpture competition. These are smaller sculptures from the first category, but still quite large. The teams consist of 3 persons who represent various countries or cities such as the US, China, Hong Kong or Sapporo’s “sister” city Portland, Oregon. Third is the Ice carving competition, which anyone can enter, but is primarily entered by professions ice carvers. Fourth is the “citizens” competition which any one can enter. There were probably 100 or more of these sculptures, many of them quite good. In addition to these competitions, there is a “play” area “Satoland” where there are snow slides, both large and small, a “Snow Maze” and such.

We arrived on the 3rd, three days before the actual start of the festival and stayed until the 7th, the day after it officially opened. We “chose” these dates because we made our plans more or less at the last minute, so we had to work with the availability of hotel rooms, and the desire to actually see the snow and ice sculptures under "construction." One of Marc’s colleagues and his wife went with us.

Domestic travel in Japan is interesting. No ID checks at the ticket counter, security, or getting on plane. We flew ANA, and they can pack over 500 people on a 747 and load them all in 20 minutes! For our flight up to Sapporo we were able to purchase upgrades to business for only 5,000-yen ($42) each, well worth it although the meal was primarily sushi, not to either of our tastes. When we arrived in Sapporo, we picked up our checked bag, went downstairs to buy train tickets, and were soon on our way into the city. After a quick check in at the New Otani Hotel, we walked down to Odori Park to see how the snow sculptures progressing. For the first few blocks of the park, all access was blocked and we had only fleeting glimpses of the large sculptures. We were beginning to second-guess our decision to come early. Then around the third block down, we found that a path had been cut through the snow so that people could actually see some of the sculptures still under construction. After a few hours out in the cold, we returned for a nice room service meal in our hotel.

On Sunday, we awoke to pretty heavy snow. I am originally from Colorado, but lived in Florida for the last 7 - 8 years so walking around while it was snowing was great fun for me. Our focus this morning was to see the start of the International Snow Sculpture competition. This competition has 16 three man teams with only four days to complete a sculpture. They all start with a 3meter x 3meter x 3meter block of snow. There were actually four US teams (US, Portland (sister city), Hawaii, and Guam). Most of the teams had professional chefs/ice carvers as part of their team. The main US team was from Yokota Air Force Base which is just an hour from Tokyo. Between the snow and the relatively warm temperatures, the teams were going to have lots of trouble. We watched their opening ceremony complete with Japan Ground Defense Force Band and then watched them get to work; it was fascinating. Over the next three days, we spent hours talking to the sculptors while they were working.

Sunday afternoon, we made another run through the main snow sculpture site to see how they were progressing followed by a trip to a wonderful Teppanyaki restaurant. This is the first time we had ever seen LIVE shrimp placed directly on the grill; they were sure squirming. The beef was wagu and so tender; the whole dinner was a treat.

Monday, we spent a long time at the main snow sculpture site. You could finally get close to all of the sculptures even though the event wasn't yet open. We watched the dry run of the opening ceremonies and took lots of pictures prior to the crowds arriving. We also went to see them work on the Ice Sculptures which was in a different location around four blocks away. For dinner, we went to a hotel close to the Festival site; the four of us were practically the only ones there. The Japanese make an imitation Scotch called Nikka so Marc and Bill and Marge were eager to try it. (I am not a scotch drinker) On the menu were three prices: single, double, and bottle. Since the bottle was priced less than two doubles each, we just bought the bottle. It has been a long time since I went into a restaurant and had them bring the bottle, glasses, and a bucket of ice to the table. In the end, we didn't finish the bottle so just brought it with us.

Tuesday we headed over to Satoland which is the third site and designed for kids. There were snow slides (Marc took pics of me on the snow slide but I refuses to post them), a snow maze, and an ice bar. Only problem with ice bar is that you had to use a pick to make your own glass out of ice; hard work. It was quite warm so that there was a lot of slush. Then the snow returned while we were heading back into the city. Tuesday afternoon we went to see the ice carvers at work on their sculptures. For this competition, they block off the center lanes of a main street. It was fun to watch them all working in the middle of the street with the cars traveling on both sides. They did not close the street to traffic until the opening ceremonies for the Ice Sculpture competition that night. In addition to the ice carvings, they had a series of ice block bars serving various warm concoctions made with Vodka, Hennessey, and mulled wine. Then, there were the scallops straight off the grill; fantastic. It was a wondrous night.

Alas, Wednesday, we had to head home. The Japanese never return from a trip without sweets for co-workers and service providers (e.g., maintenance man, nanny, maid, etc.). We joined the throng buying cookies with the Sapporo Snow Festival commemorative wrapper and local chocolate. They were restocking as fast as it was sold. Some people were buying 20 or more boxes. On the flight home we could not get upgraded so we were in row 61; still, not too bad.

All in all our first trip outside Tokyo was a very enjoyable time.

In addition to the descriptions above, I am going to make another post with Sapporo Snow Festival pictures. I apologize for making two different posts, but it is actually easier for me to make one “narrative” post and one post with pictures.


Advertisement



24th March 2007

Happy to see you posting again
Hi Arlene and Marc, Your trip to the snow festival sounds fascinating. I can't wait to read about more of your adventures. I've been missing your blog. Thanks for taking the time to start it up again. Donna

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb