Tokyo's parks


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Suginami
October 31st 2015
Published: October 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Otaguro Park

Sachi managed to find a beautiful park, Otaguro Park in the south of Ogikubo station: Otaguro Park is situated in the quiet residential district, and it offers free entry. The property was once resided in by one of the famous music critics, Mr Motoo Otaguro. From 1933, he lived there and wrote a number of music books and essays. After he died, his family bequeathed a part of his property to Suginami Ward in line with his will. It was decided that his property would be opened as a park. There have been a number of trees – oaks, redwoods, cedars planted, and those trees surround the pond, which had existed since Mr Otaguro’s time.

After entering, we walked the footpath flanked by gingko trees, and reached the teahouse – the centre of the park. We followed the winding path by the brook and pond, and reached the Azumaya – an outdoor house. We overlooked a shoal of colourful carps from the terrace.

Having studied music in Europe, it seemed to have inspired Mr Otaguro to live in a western style house. We saw his piano produced by the Steinway company and his recorder, and a number of his memorabilia displayed in the cabinets. The exhibition room was furnished in the western style. It was just after 2 o’clock when we finished strolling through Otaguro Park and the memorial house.



Inokashira Park near Kichijoji



We decided to go to Inokashira Park near Kichijoji station. As expected, there were loads of people in the park. We walked on the circular footpath along the pong via Benzaiten shrine – a red coloured sacred building. We were going to have dinner at the restaurant on 5 October; it was good for us to do a long walk in Inokashira Park, which was surrounded by woodlands and water garden.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb