Thursday May 7 2009


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
May 7th 2009
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night we went to Kokubunji (I think) area and had dinner at Acadia. While the food was good, the neighbor was very different, it was like a mix of video game arcades, porn shops with curtained entrances, and tons of people on the streets trying to sell you stuff.....Oh, and the whole place looked like Times Square on crack., soooo many lights everywhere!

This morning we had breakfast at the hotel since most cafes don't even open until 10am. The travel guide wasn't joking when they said it was more expensive. The food was a wonderful blend of western and Japanese food.

Next we headed to Tshukiji fish market, what a whirlwind. There we people pulling carts and guys driving forklifts everywhere busy packing up all the fish and hauling it away. Also, there were tons of sushi (yes in the morning) huts tucked in every corner for you to eat the fresh sushi. Should have gone there for breakfast. The whole scene reminded me of Montgomery County's court days only with any and everything fish related.

After the fish market, we hopped back on the subway to Akihabara, also known as Electric Town. This place was cool! All the latest and greatest electronics, appliances, phones, mp3 players on several blocks of 5 plus story high buildings. Bright signs and people promoting sales on everything. We couldn't find a bargain, but we found anything and everything electronic you could think of.

After a quick lunch at a noodle shop, we went to Kiyosumishirakawa and toured the Fukagawa Edo Museum. We were actually trying to find the Tokyo museum, but I got bad directions from a well meaning lady at the train station. This museum was very cool, it had an indoor replication of old Tokyo, which was called Edo back then, complete with vegetable and rice stores, tenant houses, warehouses, boathouses and fire tower. If you take off your shoes, as is the custom when entering someones home, you can go inside these houses and stores. ( Anyone who knows me would understand completely why I loved this museum).

After a unique experience with the famous hole in the floor toilet (no I did not pee on myself, I am very proud to say) we headed across the street to the Kiyosumi Gardens. They are the famous stones, greenery, and reflecting pond that, according to one theory, was part of a residence of the Edo period business magnate, Kinokuniya Bunzaemon. It also once belonged to the founder of Mitsubishi for the enjoyment of his employees and important guests. It was very beautiful and we got to walk across the pond on the individual stone walking path as seen in the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th May 2009

good start.......
You're off to a good start. Enjoy Japan. Was wondering what you have in your iti......or will it be free-flowing from here on? Safe travels to you both!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb