Gone Fishing


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
December 21st 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, last night, in the heart of Tokyo, Maureen and I went fishing----sort of.
On the first floor of the Washington Hotel is a wild restaurant called Zauo.
We had read about it a while ago and thought it sounded fun and touristy. Last night, we checked it out.
You notice a few things when you walk in: first, there's a faux boat in the middle of the restaurant, and said boat is surrounded by water. Second, every table has tiny little fishing poles. Third, no English is spoken or written.
The last one of those observations is quite unusual for a tourist spot...It turns out, this was not the overpriced, expat experience we had set out for. The patrons were all locals, and for such an experience, it wasn't ridiculously expensive.
We were given a private table, which we rarely get, so we were thrilled. We ordered two nama beirus (literally fresh beers which just means from a keg), a fishing pole, and ebi (shrimp to fish with). Thankfully our waitress understood the English "Fishing pole" request. After drinking our first glass of liquid courage, we were ready to go fishing. Mo took up her pole, attached a shrimp, and set the line in the water. The fish are clearly pretty hungry...it's not quite as bad as piranha attacking, but they don't mess around either. There are a few flounder in the waters as well as an occasional shark, but Mo went the traditional way, catching a snapper on her 2nd shrimp. I was soooo proud of her. She did it all herself. There was a bit of confusion as the fish flopped on the ground. We didn't see the net right next to us, so we were given some help. We carried the fish (in the net) back to our table where we were asked how we wanted it prepared. We went with Yaki (grilled). There's a picture of Mo's fish. It was very tasty as was the rest of the meal which consisted of salad, tempura, miso soup, chicken, sushi, potatoes, and plenty of Kirin Nama Beirus.

All and all, dinner at Zauo was tasty and entertaining.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Opps!Opps!
Opps!

Now what do I do? (maybe use that blue net right next to the fish?)
Caught dinner for usCaught dinner for us
Caught dinner for us

It's a snapper
SaladSalad
Salad

We have know idea what it consist of, but seaweed is in it.
My fishMy fish
My fish

15 minutes after catching it


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb