A Trip to the Future


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ikebukuro
September 3rd 2017
Published: September 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Shinjuku NightsShinjuku NightsShinjuku Nights

The Tokyo Municipal Government Building in Shinjuku.
I have seen the future. It is filled with tall buildings, bright lights, endless noise and millions of people. Excitement, entertainment and enjoyment take place above your head, below your feet and in your face. The future goes non-stop and doesn't conform to any normal positions of the clock. It's bigger and more bright than I ever imagined.

The future is reached by a train that speeds across the countryside at 200 miles per hour. The train passes volcanic mountains, verdant rice fields and miles of well tended farmland. It arrives on schedule, to the minute, in a massive station filled with well dressed people moving at a pace that immediately demands your full attention. Like a choreographed dance, the pedestrians move fluidly and efficiently through the maze of underground passageways, all the while multitasking with the latest smartphone that everyone interacts with continuously.



A taxi provides transport to an apartment in Ikebukuro, a somewhat distant neighborhood of Futureworld. Typical here, the apartment is tiny and equipped with everything needed, but nothing extra. A slight lean to the right yields a skyline view of Shinjuku that shines brightly at night from our tiny balcony. A busy 4
Shinjuku NeonShinjuku NeonShinjuku Neon

Bright lights of Kabukicho
lane freeway runs very close outside the window 24 hours a day. That doesn't seem unusual except our apartment is on the seventh floor. Highways in the sky in this land of tomorrow.



As a tourist, where do you start?



Need to find a restaurant? Been to cities where there is one on every corner? In the future they have one, or more, on every floor of multiple multistory buildings for multiple blocks in a row. It is estimated there are 100,000 restaurants here. Plastic food recreations display the menu in brightly lit windows. Every variety of food is available in every kind of restaurant. From glimmering penthouse view restaurants with the latest fusion cuisine to three seat open grills with meat on a stick and charcoal fires. If you want it, you can find it.



Want to share lunch with the animal kingdom? There are cat cafes, dog cafes, owl cafes and rabbit cafes where, for a fee, you can be accompanied by a pampered furry friend. You can dine with a penguin (or two). You can watch a robot show or be entertained by a host of animated characters
Tokyo TowerTokyo TowerTokyo Tower

As seen from the World Trade Center Building
of any number of types. A full on disco, decorated with neon colored fish tanks is available, if you need one.



You may ask where the nearest old town area is. A place where things slow down to a quieter pace. A place where a tourist can relax and stroll slowly through some historical old world culture center from days gone by. It doesn't exist in the future. There are some ancient, ornate temples here or there. But look up above the ancient structure and try not to notice the second tallest structure in the world flashing its lights in the clouds above.



Wherever you go, you will probably go by train. Metros below the ground. A driverless elevated trains passes through and above the futuristic building in the harbor . Monorails speed passengers to the airport. A last tiny tram rumbles roughly through the valley of skyscrapers that have grown around its rickety rails. You may ride all of them in a single journey to some trendy corner of Futureworld.



The metro is not just a form of transportation. It is an amazing engineering feat that is a destination in
Sumida RiverSumida RiverSumida River

The Skytree Tower and Asahi Brewing Building along the Sumida River
itself. More than 120 miles of track. 179 stations. 6 billion passengers a year. Grocery stores, restaurants, clothing stores, bakeries and souvenirs are all located underground. Virtually an entire city underground. With the right combination of elevators, escalators, and subways, you can leave the front door of your 40th floor apartment and travel 20 miles to your office in a distant skyscraper office building . Return home in the evening, stopping at a gourmet market and picking up your dry cleaning, all without seeing the sky. No need for an umbrella in Futureworld.



Shopping is an art form here and everyone seems well practiced. Teenagers start young in the eclectic streets of Harajuku. Schoolgirls in uniform crowd Takeshita Street looking for the latest outlandish styles. Boybands with cotton candy colored hair make an appearance outside a trendy bistro, swarmed by giggling fans with smartphone cameras. The styles are beyond anything I have seen and reflect a life in a city that changes trends by the minute instead of by the year.



In Futureworld, malls are destinations and are always full. Our local mall is called Sunshine City. Appropriate as we have spent many a rainy summer afternoon there. Also fitting because it is more of a city than a mall. It has two indoor amusement parks, a museum, a performing arts center, an aquarium, an international food area that must have 40 full scale restaurants. It has an virtual reality attraction called Sky Circus which is located on the 60th floor of the attached office building. That's correct, 60th floor! It has a center atrium where some performance is usually taking place. Perhaps a meet and greet with the latest J-Pop idol or any number of Pokemon or anime characters. Not the normal local mall.



As shoppers become more sophistacated they eventually migrate toward the Ginza. Every big city has designer stores, but not like this. The streets are blocked to vehicles on Sunday. It is the perfect time to make your way down the cavernous main shopping street. If big budget shopping has a mecca, Ginza is it. Every famous designer, jeweler or electronic manufacturer of any note has a multistory complex dedicated to their wares. The stores are packed with shoppers and judging by the stylish customers, sales must be good.



You may think that a
Rainbow Bridge- TokyoRainbow Bridge- TokyoRainbow Bridge- Tokyo

The Tokyo Tower peeks out from beneath the Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo Harbor.
megacity of 30 million people would be reminiscent of some grungy futurisitic movie where grime and despair have invaded every portion of existence. I haven't seen it. No graffiti. No litter. No homeless people. People are orderly and wait in lines. Women leave Gucci purses on chairs to save their place while waiting in coffee shop lines. No one takes their chairs or more importantly their purses. Everyone bows and seems polite. Shopkeepers seem genuinely glad that you have chosen to do business with them. Mothers encourage youngsters in strollers to wave back to old strangers visiting from far away. There is no tipping in Futureworld.

This has not really been a normal tourist month spent in a faraway destination. There really is not a defining example of what it is like to live here. It is too big, too complicated and too diverse to define. It is too intense to get to know intimately. There are too many crazy things at the end of too many tiny alleys in too many districts to ever see in a lifetime, much less the time I spent here.



I was wowed by the great cities of Rome, Paris
Imperial PalaceImperial PalaceImperial Palace

Seimonishi Bridge at the Imperial Palace
and Los Angeles. They are wonderful and each stands by itself as a great world treasure. Tokyo is different. I'm not really wowed, I'm dumbfounded. At times I have come around a corner and been stunned by what I have seen. My jaw has literally dropped. It doesn't seem fair to compare other cities to this metropolis. It is my new standard for bigger and better. Everything past this point will be compared to what I have seen here. If this is the future, I can't wait to get there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Shinjuku LightsShinjuku Lights
Shinjuku Lights

Godzilla looks over Kabukicho
Ginza SundayGinza Sunday
Ginza Sunday

The streets are closed to vehicles on Sundays in the Ginza
Harajuku StreetsHarajuku Streets
Harajuku Streets

Harajuku is even crazier when viewed through the mirrored entrance to a mall
Ginza ShoppingGinza Shopping
Ginza Shopping

Nissan Concept Car


3rd September 2017

Edo - Future World
I was in Tokyo in June, and you captured the wonder of the city very well. I particularly liked the plethora of food choices, from the beautifully displayed food in the food halls of grocery stores to Matsuya Curry, where you buy a ticket for a dish from a vending machine, then present it to the server. And while I wouldn't willingly eat dinner from a 7-11 here in the US, I was pleased to find that dinner choices from 7-11 in Tokyo are actually good.
4th September 2017

Edo...
We read your blogs and got a few ideas of things to visit from them. I especially enjoy looking in the lower floors of department stores at the food sections! We primarily eat at home and have enjoyed learning to make Japanese Curry which we had never even heard of before arriving. We have a Matsuya very close by and will definitely try it. We love 7/11 and actually most any market we shop in for all the great prepared food they have. I have no idea how the people here stay so thin! Thanks for reading and commenting, Karen!
3rd September 2017

Brilliant Post
We tend to head to the countryside on holidays but I also like cities. Your post and photos really wet the appetite. Great writing!
4th September 2017

Countryside...
We tend to spend one month everywhere, so we like to stay in places where we can get to know the area in that time. Tokyo is so vast that I think it would take many visits to really understand. Lots to see and do and certainly worth some time. Thanks for reading and commenting!
4th September 2017

Dining with a penguin?
Ok so the future has some things worth embracing and maybe some that are not. No litter, no graffiti sounds like a wonderful world. We look forward to having this experience some day. Stunning cities around the world but this one has dumbfounded you and from now on you will compare all to Tokyo....wow, now that is a statement. What a great experience.
4th September 2017

Penguins....
Dining with penguins, like living in a city of 30 million, is certainly not for everyone. There is something here for everyone and that can't be said for everywhere we have travelled. We saw tons of things here that probably shouldn't be exported, but a whole lot that should. It is a place you really need to see to believe. It really is amazing! Thanks for commenting!
4th September 2017

WOW!
I randomly found this blog and I have no idea what you are saying at first but when I have finished reading...Wow! this is not a simply telling story but the magic story telling. I have never plan to visit Japan before even I live in the country in Asia, after reading your blog I can not deny that I am sort of interested in traveling to Japan and Tokyo. That you to inspire me :)
6th September 2017

Wow....
Thanks for reading!
6th September 2017

Futureworld
I LOVE the sound of Futureworld! I want to experience everything you describe (expect maybe the owl and penguin thing - that's so not on). Tokyo really does sound like the future, but I suspect a doctor would recommend a quiet cuppa and a lie down as a regular antidote to the manic-ness, in order to survive there :)
6th September 2017

Futureworld...
I've only seen the penguins here in Tokyo, but the owl cafes are everywhere. We didn't go in. They seem kind of mean to us also. There is a hotel here where the walls are covered with books and you rent a whole bunch of pillows to lay on. You just sit around all day and relax with a good book. Futureworld has thought of everything you could ever want! Thanks for reading and commenting!
10th September 2017

Love your blog.
I simply love your style of writing. We have been to many places in common. I will subscribe to yours. Perhaps you can check my blog as well (whirl-traveller)
11th September 2017

Thanks!
Thank you for the nice compliment. We'll be following along with your travels.
9th January 2023
Tokyo Tower

what
what that tower that lit up funny i thought oit was on the paris What the hell eifall tower

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb