Tokyo Torpedo Tunas


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ikebukuro
September 6th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo is the New York City of Asia .... well, almost. Take Manhattan, multiply it's population by 4, jack up the fashion dare coefficient, add a billion more flashing neon signs and similar numbers of department stores, subtract the stinking sewers and street bums and there you have it. Unbelievable! Somehow the confusion melts into pure efficiency. Just don't attempt crossing the current of subway passengers en route to somewhere other than your chosen destination. Not that it matters where you end up. It's all so damn exciting.

The shopping in this city is insane. We're hardly shopaholics, but the sheer variety of so many THINGS that the Western world wouldn't even dream of producing, (nor do they have the population to support the multitude of flavours, aromas, types, etc) draws us into store after store to satisfy an obscene urge to purchase mini versions of everything imaginable.

As children of the 80's, the Japanese obsession with cartoon and childhood storybook characters has left us wide-eyed and nostalgic. Entire stores devoted to Lego, Smurfs, Trolls, Care Bears, Sesame Street, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and Raggedy Anne, Chucky, (that evil child-doll), and the one that sent Pen over the edge with glee: The Very Hungry Caterpillar .... merchandising to the max. The added bonus of shopping mall airconditioning creates a shimmering oasis amidst the hellish humidity of Tokyo's urban jungle outdoors.

Our sleep patterns were severely disturbed on Day #1 after a 3:45am alarm propelled us towards the Tsujiki Fish Market. One hefty cab ride accross town, (even the trains were still tucked up in bed), and we stepped into another world. Crazy Japanese auctioneers doing their bell-ringing dance to drum up interest in torpedo-like tunas the size of refridgerators, squids straight out of "20,000 Leagues", live eels squirming in vats of blood, giant baseball mitt-sized scallops, and every other conceivable fruit of the sea. By the time the sun ascended we found our sleepy butts plonked inside a sushi bar for the world's freshest breakie. "Too early for raw fish," you say? Well, anything goes round here. (The guy next to us was swilling a beer at 7am, for crying out loud).






Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

For Sook's Eyes OnlyFor Sook's Eyes Only
For Sook's Eyes Only

And You Thought A "Chocolate Salon" Was Going Too Far!


19th September 2008

Hello Tokyo!
Penny and Dave, I was so overwhelmed by the pictures of the tuna and the sizes of them. Bloddy amazing! I would have been in those crazy store of stuff for us kids that grew up with all that too...Hope you bought up Penny! Rosanne

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb