Things You Might Not Neccesarily Know About Japan!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shizuoka » Mt Fuji
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
* We mentioned Japan was cheap .... True, unless you're a fan of fresh fruit and vegies. 1 x mango @ $24 + 1 x peach @ $12.99 + 1 x bunch of grapes @ $8.50 = weekly food budget blown on half a fruit salad.

* More fruity facts .... each individual piece of fruit is custom-wrapped in a polystyrene lattice sock. Perhaps this explains the elevated cost?

* Talk about polite .... Pull into a Japanese petrol station for a fill-up and afterwards you'll be personally escorted out to the street and recieve a deep bow for your troubles.

* Japanese hospitality at it's best .... Homestay in a Minchuku and you'll have your hosts come a-knockin' on your bedroom door every half hour bearing treats. 1st knock: exotic chilled pink shots of a juice-like substance on ice; 2nd knock: brown iced tea with a selection of sweet steamed buns; 3rd knock: Peeled and sliced nashi pears with golden forks; 4th knock: a boiling flask of green tea; 5th knock: a sharp knife and a couple of giant plums. All gratis and delivered with a smile. Don't even think about undressing in the privacy of your own room!

* The downside of volcanic thermal springs .... one onsen is bearable. A trip to Nazawa Onsen village, however, requires a nose-peg. 13 free public baths, sulphuric hot springs running freely in the streets, eggs and corn boiled to perfection in naturally boiling ponds. Pure liquid fart.

* Beware the stench .... The Japanese custom of removing one's shoes in the front lobby is all good in theory. But try wading through a hostel's worth of hiking boots at the base of Mt. Fuji. Even worse, imagine the poor sods working all day at reception.

* Swilling saki with slimey chunks .... Sake comes in clear, cloudy and chilled with slightly sweet slimey bits. A sake-house crawl in Takayama is not recommended before midday. Interestingly enough, the slimey one is the best, once you get past the texture.

* A miniature world .... Japanese people are small. Their country has been built to suit. Hotel doorways, bus entrances, stair head-heights are a constant head-banging hazard. Always look up.

* The individual is irelevant .... Japanese people travel in groups. Big groups. It's a sight to behold when a troop of identically-dressed hikers in shiny new boots and all-terrain gear from head to toe, passes you by.

* Is it December already? .... The one overwhelming sound in Japan is of Christmas bells. Everyone is adorned with jingle-jangle bells. Locker keys, mobile phones, car mirrors, hiking sticks. Sheesh, you'd never lose the individual in this group.

* Can't get that tune outta my head .... The one played at every pedestrian crossing when the green man waves his hand. Enough to send you crazy.

* Pachinko is a dirty word .... Hell on earth is a visit to a Japanese pinball parlour. Sad souls sit all day polluting their lungs with foul smoke, pushing rainbow buttons and destoying their hearing with the most god-almighty racket.

* Pay TV Japanese style .... You're probably thinking a wealth of channels and variety galore. Nup, we're talking literally Pay-TV. Insert 100 yen into a slot and 2 hours of limited viewing is yours for the taking. Watching the Olympics Closing Ceremony with Japanese commentation was a hoot.

* (Take me out) to the ballgame .... Obsession is hardly a word to descibe the Japanese and their love for Baseball. Three or four games a night on TV, Baseball stars on every second adverstisement. A personal stadium appearance, however, doesn't even justify watching the game. They're more than happy to simply dance along with the girls in glitter.

* Happysnap stereotypes .... Funny that, you very rarely see a Japanese person touring the far reaches of their own country with a camera around the neck.

* Jazzing up the sewer .... Japanese sewer plates embedded in ashphalt are decorated like works of art. The fire brigade connection plate even comes in full colour.

* Grrrrrrr .... Whilst hiking through the wood in Togakushi, look out for bears. What? Bears in Japan? For some reason they weren't as scary as their Canadian cousins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



2nd September 2008

love those spicy little facts
did you guys write all these down or just remember them-seriously you have a travel book in the making-tis rivetting and amusing and feels like you are really there! love bird
19th September 2008

Re: Japan...in the Making!
Penny and Dave, Your travels are sounding so funny from my computer...I laughed so hard at that film of the so called 12 year old dancing or stripping? Who teaches children to act like that and in public? I hear you r trying Saki? Ha Ha...how much did you guys have? Because I know only a little knocks the Sh#T out of you! I am reading your blogs as much as I can, when I can... Once again take Care... Rosanne

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb