Japan: First impressions


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Chiyoda
December 15th 2022
Published: December 15th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Hichaki dog statueHichaki dog statueHichaki dog statue

Check out the story of those dog or watch the movie with (for some reason) Richard Gere.
24 hours in Japan and I'm so glad to share its been lovely. I am traveling with a colleague/ friend and we were able to book a direct flight from Dallas to Tokyo. After a brief stint hunkered down in the DFW bathroom to hide from a possible tornado, we made it on flight and over here.

These long flights are getting tougher and tougher!

We have been using the monorail to get around the city and have visited the Shibuya scramble - apparently the biggest crossing in the world, walked around the city a bit and had Ichiban style Ramen. Many restaurants here run on a vending machine type system which makes it all very easy. The Ichiban style was interesting because you go into these small cramped spaces and sit up against a partition where you are separated from the cook with a wood curtain. They lift up the curtain, give you the food and close the curtain. It's very cool and the lines can get very long.

We were able to walk all over the Imperial Gardens but, alas, no tea with the Royal family. Maybe next time.

Overall, what I've seen of Tokyo is wonderfully clean, efficient, and the people are very kind. And beautiful! Everyone is just so damn good looking here. I will not have many takes for the swamp-monster aesthetic that I've been cultivating.

Off to Kyoto tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

RamenRamen
Ramen

This dish is entirely personalized; level of seasoning, density of noodles, spice, onions, garlic, etc., are all up to you.
Hot coffee drink from vending machineHot coffee drink from vending machine
Hot coffee drink from vending machine

As you can guess, tea is supreme here but coffee is still too be had!
Beautiful sceneryBeautiful scenery
Beautiful scenery

Surprisingly, the gardens were not manicured to perfection like I had expected. They were still very beautiful.


15th December 2022

Waited sooo long!
Happy for you to get there finally!
15th December 2022

Yay!
It's been worth the wait so far! Amber
15th December 2022

Yay!
It's been worth the wait so far! Amber

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb