LONG WAY TO PATAGONIA...Battling Homeland Security with a necrotic leg


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
December 12th 2013
Published: December 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

LONG WAY TO PATAGONIA. Sydney...Tokyo...Los Angeles...Lima...Buenos Aires... left 3 days before Denise...arrived a few hours before...nearly wheel chaired...detained & locked up...fraternised with celebrities...hospitalised...what an adventure! Then to drive down the Andes in a 4WD...just the two of us...playing Blues and Rock & Roll...that's epic. ***** We were invited to join an Aussie an... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




12th December 2013
SORRY TO LEAVE

From heaven to hell in a day...
Great stories and photos! Japan looks heavenly, and that's quite a portrait with Mt Fuji and cherry blossoms at Christmas. Then a fast descent into hell at LAX with thugs in the airport. Must say though, the sign says firearms are allowed in checked, not carry on, baggage. No guns in our planes, just celebrities. Glad you had an infected insect bite and not a flesh-eating staph infection, and trooper that you are, you kept going. Looking forward to Patagonia!
12th December 2013
SORRY TO LEAVE

From heaven to hell in a day...
For you Tara...a couple of teasers from Patagonia with the panoramas. On the way back in LAX I was out the back as one of my friends was reporting lost luggage. I watched 3 baggage handlers placing bags from planes on the carousels for about an hour...lifting each bag or suitcase onto their shoulders...then bodyslamming them into the concrete floor...laughing...then placing them on the carousels. Did I complain...did I say anything other than to my friends also watching? NO WAY...once bitten...more than twice shy!!! Wouldn't happen in Australia...I hope.
13th December 2013

Blimey
I enjoyed that. Looks like the site of your bite moved from the first picture to the next. You obviously still reckoning it was a leech rather than arachnid. Strange the ailments we carry with us to the wilder parts of the world. I got bitten by a tick camping in Bornholm, noticed it on my leg when I flew into Delhi. Diagnosed with Lyme disease in Kashmir. Not familiar with those guys in your photos, except the ones who made you feel uneasy...and yes you should be. Particularly after your run-in with their foot soldiers at security. Perhaps one day you'll let me know the real reason the eagle swooped on the rabbit. Wouldn't happen in Australia!
13th December 2013

Blimey
Sorry to hear you were diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Jason. Was it? The official word is it does not exist in Sydney...doesn't explain why I know of some confirmed cases! I have been advised it was my line "It wouldn't happen in Australia" that caused this gentle rabbit such grief in LAX. I became aware in Chile of a German who had a not dissimilar experience in LAX who suggested that if they visited Germany they would have similar treatment. That resulted in 6 months detention in USA...guess he didn't have my calming demeanor!!!
15th December 2013

I hate to hear of fellow travelers having such problems with security at LAX, but it seems par for the course nowadays. The worst of it is that LAX security is many foreign travelers' first experience with the US, and if the goal is to piss everyone enough to ensure they never return (or connect through, as many are finding out), the various TSA and Immigrations officers are doing a damn good job... That said, going about making statements like "Wouldn't happen in Australia!" seems kinda pointless... After all, you wouldn't go to Singapore and proclaim "I can chew gum in Australia!", or go to Indonesia and say "Wouldn't be executed for smoking weed in Australia!", would you? I'm not saying things aren't ridiculous with US border control - because they absolutely are. But as a traveler, you kinda deal with the idiosyncrasies of a particular destination or you don't go. And I do wish more people would choose to not visit the US (as well as avoid flights that pass through the US) - once the airports feel the economical effects of being such jackholes, the TSA and immigration may start to treat people with a little more respect.
15th December 2013

LAX security is many foreign travelers' first experience with the US
Thanks for commenting Kevin. My boarding pass was protruding from my neck pouch with my passport. Not an unusual item for travellers. Told to take it off my neck and put it through the scanner no problem to do so. The guy wanted to pick on someone...happened to be me. My sister in law, her husband and 3 small children were strip searched at LAX one visit as her husband's British passport said he was born in Libya (was born on a ship passing through). Certainly made me apprehensive when I was selected for ridicule. I thought being an Australian would make a difference...friends of USA you know. Yet on my return trip, security couldn't have been nicer to me!
15th December 2013

The people you meet....
That's a cool story. Worth all the hassle I'd say. How's the leg?
15th December 2013

The people you meet....
Thanks Kris & Kate...certainly made a cool story...got me really pumped up for Patagonia. The excitement in LAX took my mind totally off my leg but the medical treatment in B.A had some surprising effects which I will save for a future blog.
15th December 2013

You're a trooper!
A rough patch there my friend! Hope your leg gets better soon!
15th December 2013

A rough patch there
Thanks Per-Olof. I always reckon if its too easy it is less memorable...if it results in an unforgettable story...all the better!
17th December 2013

Epic adventure with David Hoo Tours
No, no one can keep an old rooster down with optimism like that (and maybe a bit of recklessness) not getting the leg treated sooner but it is still there so all is well. If you still have the email you should send them the photo. It would be a pleasant surprise I'm sure. As there is one universal truth about using frequent flyer miles....it won't be easy, no point A to point B, you will earn it to use it.
17th December 2013

no one can keep an old rooster down
The wisdom of MJ. Nervous about sending the photo...maybe I should. There is a little something for you on Songs about Travel thread...something to help you on your imminent next adventure...enjoy.
9th January 2014

What an experience!
For some reason, i confess i have anxieties going through airports and immigration. Not guilty. But nervous. You don't know what those guys are thinking. Anyhoo, good you have good souvenirs of that episode.
9th January 2014

What an experience
When I think of LAX I think of this experience Lili...memorable yes...want a repeat...no thanks!
28th January 2014

Not coincidence
The incident at LAX was meant to be, irritation or not, so that you could meet those guys. Everything happens for a reason an sometimes people are totally unaware of how they act.
28th January 2014

Not coincidence
Thanks for the comment Roger...meant to be you say...I can take that. Meant to be I bought more Incubus CDs...everyone's a winner! Time for the adventures in Patagonia to begin.
16th February 2014

Would have loved to see you spaz out and get locked behind the glass zoo! Super funny. I'm an Australian damn it! Oh and if you get a chance, see Jared Leto in that movie Dallas Buyers Club. He is amazing in it. Glad you got your leg fixed up.
16th February 2014

locked behind the glass zoo
Great comment Andrea. I think Canadians might have a similar reaction. I couldn't help but think "If you treat your friends like this..."

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 22; dbt: 0.1504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb