Tokyo Senso-ji temple


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
February 7th 2013
Published: April 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

For many years I flew to Tokyo and had layovers there. I usually was so tired that I only explored the area around Narita. My husband Tim and I decided to visit and explore Tokyo and we were delighted by our finds. We stayed in Roppongi and decided to use mostly the subway for transportation. I was a little intimidated by the language barrier but found it quite easy to navigate. Most Japanese people speak some English and they were so kind that we never felt lost or uncomfortable.

Our first trip was to the Senso-ji temple in Asakusa. It was founded in 628 and is the oldest temple site in Tokyo and is their capital's spiritual center. The temple is dedicated to the goddess Kannon and there is a 3 inch statue of Kannon located inside the temple. There are two enormous straw sandals on either side of the Hozomon Treasury Gate and they were made for diffferent Gods with feet of mythical size. The sandals symbolize the traditional footwear of Buddhist pilgrims. There is a five story pagoda on the temple grounds that is the second highest in Japan.

We traveled around the temple grounds and walked
Temple DragonTemple DragonTemple Dragon

There were dragons everywhere entertwined in the architecture of the temple
onto Nakamise-dori which is the main street into the temple grounds. It is packed with many stalls and booths selling traditional Japanese goods, souveniers and food. We watched a baker making chocolate biscuits and they were yummy. Not too sweet but light and delicious. There was a huge incense burner right in front of the main temple. The smoke from this cauldron is said to bestow health...if any part of your body (modesty permitting) is giving you troubles, you just waft some of the smoke over the affected part of your body.

On returning to the temple grounds and saw two precious little girls dressed in twin leopard outfits who were enjoying baby octopus skewers. I couldn't bring myself to try one but everyone was buying and eating them. The cherry trees were just beginning to bloom and people were taking pictures fo them everywhere. The day we went to the temple was a national holiday so the grounds were filled with people enjoying the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Senso-ji main hall ceilingSenso-ji main hall ceiling
Senso-ji main hall ceiling

The interior of the temple is beautifully decorated and the ceiling is painted with colorful pictures of dragons surrounded by angels and lotus flowers
Giant straw sandalsGiant straw sandals
Giant straw sandals

Made for dieties with feet of mythic size
Five story pagodaFive story pagoda
Five story pagoda

This five story pagoda was located on the grounds of the Senso-ji temple. It is the second highest in Japan
Denbo-in GardenDenbo-in Garden
Denbo-in Garden

This garden was designed in the early 1600's by Zen gardner Kobori Enshu. They perform tea ceremonies here
Little leopardsLittle leopards
Little leopards

These tiny ones were enjoying their day at the temple
Japanese bakerJapanese baker
Japanese baker

Nakamise-dori is a busy pedestrian street located near the grounds of the Senso-ji temple. You can buy many things here. We watched this baker make chocolate biscuits...then we bought some! YUM!
Baby Octopus skewersBaby Octopus skewers
Baby Octopus skewers

There were many food stands and these baby octopus skewers were flying off the stands.
Cherry BlossomsCherry Blossoms
Cherry Blossoms

Japan is known for it's beautiful cherry blossoms in the spring. They were just beginning to bloom while we were there
MemorialMemorial
Memorial

May Peace Prevail on Earth


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb