Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nicky: Weve been in Japan for just over 24 hours now and I love it. There is so much going on in all the streets and although it feels like home it is so different as well. We got to our hostel on Sunday night and headed out to find some dinner, we walked one of the major streets in the area we are staying in which is full of little shops selling everything from chopsticks and cutlery to sweets. This morning - Monday - we had boring things to do like some laundry and sort out train tickets to Kyoto so by the time we got going it was nearly lunchtime. We had bought some food in the supermarket around the corner from our hostel so went and sat in the big park and watched the people going buy. There is an amazing mix of characters from business men to mothers and children to elderly people out for a stroll. The park is full of temples and shrines so we wandered around a few of these and tried to get our bearings. On the way back to the hostel this evening we visited the Shonsji temple - i think that is how it is spelt i havent got our book on me - which is beautiful and surrounded by little canals and bridges. There were hundreds of people there rubbing the incense into themselves because it is supposed to bring you good health and double clapping before entering the temple. It is a really beautiful thing to watch. There is also a little shopping area which leads up to the temple full of traditional goods, there were quite a few people wandering around in traditional Japanese clothes which was great to see. We also tried an ancient Japanese sweet called a bean-jam bun which was unusual but good.

We have managed to change our flights to australia - because japan is just too expensive for us poor travellers - so we now fly out on sat night. Which means we have a VERY busy few days ahead of us trying to fit everything in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



6th March 2008

Your Here!!!
Hey hey hey! Wow sounds like the temple you went to was Sensoji in Asakusa and it is really famous i bought most of my xmas presents there! The blossom is plum by the way its too early for Cherry! I love the "bean jam" buns! The bean is called anko and i eat it nearly every day as my sweet thing for lunch, how weird! Your blog is really cool because it puts your photso in with your writing which is pretty cool! Hope to see you sat x

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb