Two weeks was not long enough!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SakuraSakuraSakura

Picnics under the cherry blossom trees (Sakura) in Ueno park, Tokyo.
Hi, it's Beth. We have been in Tokyo since March 26th but we leave in just two days. We have conflicting feelings about leaving because we really like it here-if it weren't for the cost! And the cost of things is the reason we need to be on our way. Well, we knew that before we got here so have been very grateful to everybody who let us stay in their house. The kids have really liked Japan-a bit of the west in the east. They have had fun playing with friends' children and of course the food has been a big draw. The bravest anybody got was to try squid and would you ever have guessed it was Samir who liked it?!
Being here has been a little like being in London because of all the touristy things we have done. Riding bikes at the Imperial Palace, going on the largest ferris wheel in Asia, a boat tour down the Sumida river, visiting the panda bear at Ueno zoo... We have also visited some temples, shrines and beautiful Japanese gardens and as Samir has already written, we had our bento (boxed lunch) party under the cherry trees which are
Spring inTokyoSpring inTokyoSpring inTokyo

Shrine in Asakusa, Tokyo.
in full bloom.
It's strange being here after 20 years and a rude awakening to how little I remember-of the language and of things I saw and did back then! ( According to Azim, that whole experience was a waste for me since I don't remember 75% of it.) Azim and I went back to our old station where we used to live and we found Mr. Donut and our old sports club, but we think our house has been replaced with a huge apartment block-since we couldn't find it.
What we have discovered is how difficult it is, in the land of technology, to access our bank account in Canada from Japan. Visa isn't often accepted and 99% of the ATM machines won't accept our bank card. Azim spent 4 hours one afternoon walking around Tokyo trying to find a receptive machine-and when he found one, the machine went through the motions of a transaction but when the money drawer opened, it was empty and then the machine promptly went out of order. Checking our account later, we noticed our bank deducted the amount of this transaction even though we got no cash. Well, several e-mails and phone calls
Tokyo DisneylandTokyo DisneylandTokyo Disneyland

Everybody, no matter what age, wears some kind of disney ears while at Disneyland. And the mask? A must have if you have a cold or hay fever!
later, we're told the money will be deposited back into our account, but it will take two months! Who'd have thought... So you see, we have our stressful days too.
Just a quick toilet update-here the seat is heated. Push one button and you get a wash. Push another and get a dry. Push another and the toilet will make a flushing sound so that no one else can hear you do your business. How will we return to India? We are leaving tomorrow for Indonesia (with a one night layover in Bangkok) and are looking forward to tropical weather again. And we are very behind on blog updates and postcards so expect India and Japan comments and postcards coming to you from Indonesia. I hope there aren't too many pictures for you, but this is it for me from Japan. Sayonara!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Imperial PalaceThe Imperial Palace
The Imperial Palace

One thing I do remember from 20 years ago was biking around the Imperial Palace with my sisters-and it was still free and just as much fun!
Ginza, TokyoGinza, Tokyo
Ginza, Tokyo

A beautiful part of Tokyo especially at night when the neon lights up the street.
KamakuraKamakura
Kamakura

A lot of shrines and temples in this area...and of course good food. The kids are eating senbei (rice crackers) hot off the grill.
Shrine in KamakuraShrine in Kamakura
Shrine in Kamakura

A beautiful Japanese garden with huge carp in the pond.
KamakuraKamakura
Kamakura

Another shot of a beautiful temple and garden!
Kamakura (again)Kamakura (again)
Kamakura (again)

Stone statues that women pray to if they have lost a child.
A Typical RestaurantA Typical Restaurant
A Typical Restaurant

Many restaurants in Japan have plastic models of the food they serve. They display it in a window on the street, which makes it a lot easier for those of us who can't read or speak much Japanese.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb