Sayonara USA!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Akasaka
July 11th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So here we are- the first day in a long journey, the first step in running a marathon- Tokyo!

After successfully arriving from our 11.5 hour flight from LAX, we managed to navigate the subway correctly and make it to our hostel- K's House Backpackers in Asasakusa. It was night and we had just enough time to walk around and discover a really cool temple located just around the corner. We didn't find out until later that this was one of the best temples in all of Tokyo. We were in bed by 9:30pm that first night planning to relax and sleep in the next day. Unfortunately, jet lag would not let this happen and Jeff and I were both up, wide awake in our bunks by 4:45am.
Since we were awake- we decided to get to the fish market since it was an early morning thing. We spent the morning there and by 7am we had seen about all the fish we could see. Jeff was even able to have probably the freshest sushi breakfast he will ever have in his life. I even tried a bite!

We spent that day wondering the city- seeing the Imperial Palace, all the electric buildings, Tokyo tower and everything in between. See... Jeff and I have a theory when we get to a new city, who needs the subway when we can walk and see more. The problem is: Tokyo is huge. The whole day we probably walked about 20-30miles - NO JOKE!

That night, we were super tired and decided that we would upgrade our backpacker butts to our own room. It cost a pretty penny, but was well worth it. We went out that night for dinner and drinks in Roppongi, but discovered that at $8/ bud light, it would be an early night.
The next day, we decided to relax in our room, while we still had and head out to walk around the city some more. This time we headed to the younger, more vibrant areas of Tokyo: Shimbashi and Harajuku. We admired all the crazy teens with their crazy stores and managed to order a lunch of delicious noodles by pointing to a picture.

That night we were back in our dorm room with 8 other people, one who snored louder than my dad does! And that is loud- as a kid I could
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market

The huge tuna they trade at the market.
hear him snoring down the hall! Needless to say- the morning came early when we woke up to head off to Tokyo Disneyland.
We spent our last day in Tokyo roaming around there and seeing what Tokyo Disney had to offer. It was pretty freaking cool, but somehow lacked the "magic" that Disney in the US has.

I did manage to take a picture with Peter Pan- something I have been trying to do for at least the past 10 years.
After a long day there we were ready to wake up early this morning and head off to Beijing. I will keep you posted on how that goes.
Overall, I would give Tokyo a 7/10. I loved Tokyo at night, the people were super friendly, and the city is super clean. I think the cost of the city shocked us and this contributed to strictly keeping to our budget- which meant no fun nights out. Stay tuned... beers are only $2 in China so I think the nights out will change!

Accommodation: K's house Tokyo- about $28USD/bed/night.
It was super small, but super clean. Good common space and great location in Asakusa close to subway lines!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Yummy sushi breakfast!Yummy sushi breakfast!
Yummy sushi breakfast!

Jeff said it was the freshest sushi ever!
Imperial PalaceImperial Palace
Imperial Palace

If you look you can see the Imperial Palace in the background. It was very hard to see.
AkihabraAkihabra
Akihabra

Jeff dancing at a crazy electric town store
Gwen hearts HarajukuGwen hearts Harajuku
Gwen hearts Harajuku

If Gwen loves it, so do I


11th July 2008

WOOOOOW
WOW friend so crazy to see you under that gnarly subway sign. i hope you dont starve to death, hang in there!! say hi to jeffe... =D
11th July 2008

man I'm so stoked for you guys. Reading your blog makes me want to come hit the road again. hopefully I'll be able to meet up along the way! When you head to Beijing, beware of the "art student" scam. Teenagers around the Forbidden City and Summer Palace love to con unsuspecting travelers into buying expensive mass produced art that they claim is one of a kind. D
12th July 2008

huh?
how come peter pan isn't japanese?
12th July 2008

So far im not starving, but eating definately is a 1/2 hour process to find a place we are brave enough to go into. Miss you friend!
14th July 2008

yay!
glad you two made it! and so fun this blog is! great idea krista! i will definitely be following you around so i can live vicariously through you and jeffe lampara. have a great time!
14th July 2008

Food
I am eating leftover Chinese food in your honor and it is delicious.
16th July 2008

Peter Pan
I am so HAPPY you got to meet Peter Pan! Did you wet your pants?:) Nate wants to know why you are so weird:)
18th July 2008

ahhh so jealous!!!! i finally made it to disneyland paris, but you beat me to tokyo disney. touche. well played madame.

Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb