Nikko, with Amelia


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tochigi » Nikko
September 20th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bon OdoriBon OdoriBon Odori

Summer dancing festival, the night before leaving for Tokyo. Arahori San- My friend who has organised for me and Amelia to take Traditional Japanse dance classes, as of this Friday, for no cost. (Nihonbuyo) Lovely guy, also a fan of Adelaide!
After Shikoku came Nikko, after one day of sleep and washing followed by a bon odori (summer style traditional dancing festival) at night, which we ended up getting to by Shinkansen. We stayed here for two days and two nights at a beautiful little place called Nikko Park Lodge, with the most accomodating man running it, Zairyo, a buddhist monk who had practised in the US for 20 years, who ran a private Yoga session in the mornings that Amelia and I took. Such an amazing experience to wake up in this beautifully quiet place and do yoga and meditiation to the sound of his chanting. Really magical.

We spent one of our days in Nikko taking our time to appreciate the many shrines and temples, statues and beautiful old forests in Nikko Park, and the next further out at Lake Chuzenji, where we had the BEST Indian buffet overlooking the lake for $10pp... mmm, followed by a look at the 97m high Kegon Waterfall, and a walk around one of the smaller and less visited, yet enchanting, temples nearby.

That arvo, with time to spare, we decided to go up the mountains on the bus to Oku Nikko
Bon OdoriBon OdoriBon Odori

This is my mate Aya, who is in love with Adelaide and is an ABSOLUTE darling...
for one of their famous onsens (hot spring baths- this time very sulferous). With an accidental stop off at a different stop named 'Oku Nikko hotel,' over 5km from the intended destination, and a 1km climb uphill to that wrong hotel, followed by the lovely hotel staff dropping us back at the bus stop to catch the next bus up the mountain, we made it to the desired hotel at Oku Nikko and had the bath to ourselves.

Later that evening we made our way to Tokyo, arriving in time to see Senso Temple in Asakusa lit up at night.

check out the pics to see some of what we saw.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

ShinkansenShinkansen
Shinkansen

Amelia's first time on the shinkansen...
NikkoNikko
Nikko

Such a beautiful misty day, 25 degrees (10 colder than where we'd come from), and the perfect mystical atmosphere for the temples we were about to visit
The three wise monkeysThe three wise monkeys
The three wise monkeys

This carving in the Toshogu shrine at Nikko is said to be the origin of the phrase "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"
Three wise monkeysThree wise monkeys
Three wise monkeys

So we got a random third little monkey and asked her to be wise with us for a moment.
NikkoNikko
Nikko

All wooden carvings, all over the buildings.
NikkoNikko
Nikko

One of the many Narabi-jizo statues lining the Ganman-ga-fuchi path, along the river
NikkoNikko
Nikko

Beautiful little gyoza (dumplings) joint, with business cards of its fans covering the walls and ceiling
Nikko Park Lodge Nikko Park Lodge
Nikko Park Lodge

The common room/eating area
ChuzenjikoChuzenjiko
Chuzenjiko

Our 'view' from above Lake Chuzenji... And apparantly this was CLEAR compared to the day before!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb