Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima, Japan


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Osaka » Osaka
October 14th 2014
Published: October 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Peach Air, a Japanese discount airline, offers cheap direct flights between Kaohsiung and Osaka, so we decided to visit Japan in small pieces. That way, we could save our longer holiday times for more extended trips. We decided that we would visit Kyoto on our September (Moon Festival) long week-end, and then the October (10/10) long week-end, we would visit Hiroshima. We would use the high speed ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Aioi BridgeAioi Bridge
Aioi Bridge

The original target of the A-bomb. It buckled but did not fall, and was repaired and used for many more years before being replaced with a newer version.
Peace Memorial ParkPeace Memorial Park
Peace Memorial Park

They have created a wonderful peaceful park to commemorate the event and more importantly, to promote peace and the elimination of nuclear weapons.
Bell of PeaceBell of Peace
Bell of Peace

People are continually pulling back the wooden ram and ringing the bell. It has a deep resonating tone.
Paper CranesPaper Cranes
Paper Cranes

Sadako was two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped, her home was about a mile from Ground Zero. She died of leukemia in 1955. At the time of her death, she was folding paper cranes for peace, and the tradition continues today. Thousands and thousands of cranes are delivered here yearly.
In Front of the Memorial CenotaphIn Front of the Memorial Cenotaph
In Front of the Memorial Cenotaph

This holds the list of victims' names killed by the blast. Through the cenotaph, you can see the Peace Flame as well as the A-Bomb Dome.
Replica of the Hiroshima DestructionReplica of the Hiroshima Destruction
Replica of the Hiroshima Destruction

92% of the city's buildings were destroyed by the blast. Very little survived within a 2 kilometer radius of the epicenter.
DRAMATIC IMAGEDRAMATIC IMAGE
DRAMATIC IMAGE

A man was sitting on this step of a bank. He was eliminated completely. The rays from the explosion turned the cement blocks whitish, his body protected the stone which resulted in a dark shadow.
Ferry to MiyaJima IslandFerry to MiyaJima Island
Ferry to MiyaJima Island

After touring the A-Bomb site, we had enough time to take a 45 minute ferry to Miyajima Island, one of the three top scenic spots in Japan.
13011301
1301

Wild deer mingle with the crowds of tourists. The will come right up to you, look for food and nudge you, but do not like to be petted. They were everywhere.
Great Torii at Itsukushima ShrineGreat Torii at Itsukushima Shrine
Great Torii at Itsukushima Shrine

The great Torii is the boundary between the spirit and the human worlds. It was constructed in 1168 and was built about 200 meters offshore. At low tide you can walk there. At high tide, it appears to float above the water.
Walk at Low TideWalk at Low Tide
Walk at Low Tide

People walk to the shrine in the distance at low tide. The background is the temple and Itsukushima Shrine with its'17 buildings.
Very Colorful  Vermillion!Very Colorful  Vermillion!
Very Colorful Vermillion!

There was an admission fee which would help with maintaining the appearances of these buildings. There were some renovations in progress.
Japan is Clean!Japan is Clean!
Japan is Clean!

We never saw any garbage anywhere, the streams are lined with rock and concrete, and the flowing water is crystal clear.
A Tunnel ...Not Sure Why?A Tunnel ...Not Sure Why?
A Tunnel ...Not Sure Why?

Why have a tunnel when it's only a few more steps around? The tunnel was even lined with concrete.
JR Big Boat FerryJR Big Boat Ferry
JR Big Boat Ferry

We took this 10 minute ferry across to the JR (Japan Rail) station and then the local train to the High Speed Rail.
Miyajima SunsetMiyajima Sunset
Miyajima Sunset

Weather, by the way was lovely and warm. No jacket needed. Miyajima : One of the top three scenic spots in Japan The Island of Gods, well known for its floating shrine and Otorii. Miyajima Island, one of the most scenic spots in Japan, has long been regarded as an Island of Gods on the beautiful Seto Inland Sea. It is a romantic and historical island.
Big, Bright and Beautiful.Big, Bright and Beautiful.
Big, Bright and Beautiful.

Kansai (Osaka) Airport Terminal 1, the Aeroplaza, and High Speed Rail Station are all joined and make a sleek and modern transportation hub.



16th October 2014

Japan sounds very interesting. We have only been in the airports!! One of these times we will have to take time to visit.
20th October 2014

hi
so are you still teaching? just travelling? when are you coming to Saskatoon? 306-260-2122

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb