Osaka: Light/Candle festival


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Osaka » Osaka
August 29th 2011
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Its been a busy summer for us. We didn't get a chance to see any big matsuri (festivals) or hanabi (fireworks display) which define summer in Japan. These festivals are really nice to see as most highlight the beautiful Japanese culture, but it also atttracts big crowds and as such being held in summer, attendees should bear with heat and humidity.
But we can't let this summer pass by without at least attending less popular matsuri, so we thought. We chose to attend the light/ candle festival held at the Osaka castle. Although less popular, it still does attracts the crowd and the oh so present humidity lingers quite annoyingly. A lot of shrines, temples and castles around Japan usually had these events, where they lit up thousands of candles, bearing symbols or just simply spreading this candles everywhere. I really don't know what is it for, like most of the festivals in Japan, which I attend just to see the meticulous details they put into every event.
There were a lot of things going on around Osaka castle in line with the candle festival. My kids enjoyed watching a juggling/ balloon show, and they also design a lamp. Although they were quite sad as they can't bring home the lamp with them. I explained to them that many people can see and enjoy their work, but I didn't think it really matters to them, hihihihi !
Nearing the end of summer and looking forward to fall. Where we can go around more without the heat and humidity getting as bogged down .



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

light/candlelight/candle
light/candle

my kids made these, or was it mommy


29th August 2011

Too happy to hear from Osaka again!
Glad to know you and your family are back to "normal mode". Traditions are important and children ought to learn them while still young. That's how we pass them from one generation to the next. Hello to your family!
30th August 2011

Yes tita Lili, precisely why Japanese traditions are so well preserved. If you go to these festivals, its amazing to see that a lot of their young people are already taking part in these events.
9th October 2011

For some reason I didn't read this one when it was published.
I went into my favorites today to see what you had been up to and was happy to find this blog. This candle festival sounds intriguing. We may have to attend that some day. The kids looks like they are enjoying themselves. Happy Travels.
9th October 2011

For some reason I didn't read this one when it was published.
I went into my favorites today to see what you had been up to and was happy to find this blog. This candle festival sounds intriguing. We may have to attend that some day. The kids looks like they are enjoying themselves. Happy Travels.
14th October 2011

Hi Dave and Merry Jo, You should come visit our city, and lets hang out when you do. Take care you guys, and we are really enjoying reading your USA blogs, makes us want to come back and live there again

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb