Okinawa Champru (Mix)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa » Okinawa Honto
June 10th 2014
Published: June 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Okinawa is an interesting champru (Okinawan language) of cultures. For 450 years it was an independent sea trading state called the Ryukyu Kingdom, with a royal family. I teach a “13th from the throne” princess. In 1879 the Meiji Government annexed Okinawa to Japan, and after WW2 it was under American military rule for 27 years. There is an amazing mix of “much beautiful nature” and bustling American and Japanese culture here. It is home to about 20 American military bases with 30,000 military personelle. It is a Japanese tourist haven, with resorts along much of the west coast. It also has distinctly Okinawan culture, holidays and architecture. In Midori machi, my home town, I ride daily past the Agena Castle Ruins and the Gushikawa Bull Fighting Arena. Friday nights, I go to the American Village to eat Jamaican, Italian and other exotic cuisine. Ocean Expo Park and the Churaumi Aquarium is my favorite tourist destination so far, but there are many places to explore. Enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement






10th June 2014

Loving the Blogs
Glad you're enjoying yourself. Am enjoying reading about your life in Okinawa!!
11th June 2014

greetings brothers
blogging to keep in touch... come visit some time.
11th June 2014

rosewater
thanks for you for your kind words plus postal address. I'm good but sad I'll write n post to tell you more. love E

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb