Okayama, Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okayama
February 19th 2014
Published: February 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Koraku-enKoraku-enKoraku-en

You can see Okayama Castle from Koraku-en.
My hometown Okayama is one of the provinces, which is located in Chugoku Region, the western part of Japan. To the south, there is a sea called Seto Island Sea, and over the sea, there is a large island named Shikoku, which consists of four other provinces. To the north, there is a mountain chain named Chugoku Mountains, which runs throughout the region, and is the provincial border between Okayama and Tottori (which is a province faced to the Sea of Japan). Thanks to being surrounded by the Shikoku and Chugoku Mountains, the climate in Okayama is very temperate except in the northern area. The daylight hours are relatively log, and it rains less than any other provinces, so Okayama is said to be “a sunny province.”



The biggest city is Okayama city, which is the capital of Okayama province. In Okayama city, there is one of the three greatest gardens, named Koraku-en. This is a traditional Japanese garden, which was designated as a beautiful scenic spot by the Japanese government 60 years ago. Koraku-en was first established about 300 years ago by the feudal chief at that time, behind Okayama castle for relaxation. It was enjoyed by
Koraku-enKoraku-enKoraku-en

There are rice fields, small ponds, and traditional Japanese houses in Koraku-en!
being viewed from the castle at first. Later feudal chiefs reformed the garden with their preferences, for example, rebuilding some constructions, and making waterways, and it became a garden to enjoy walking around and viewing its beautiful scenery. Most of the original garden was destroyed during World War II, but it was rebuilt based on the drawings at that time, and now it is popular as a garden which reminds us of the ancient times. In spring, many full-blown cherry blossoms welcome you, and in autumn, you can enjoy colored leaves. The rice field, seasonal flowers, and Japanese cranes make you relaxed.



The second biggest city is Kurashiki city, which is located next to Okayama city. Kurashiki city is famous for its “fine view quarter”. Today, this area is one of the most popular destinations for tourists in Okayama province, but more than 350 years ago, it first flourished under the direct control of Japan’s feudal government at that time. Along the Kurashiki River, big premises and warehouses with the beautiful White Walls and Namako Walls, stand in a line, which still maintain the old-townscape. If you walk on the street, you can find Japanese tiles with
KurashikiKurashikiKurashiki

A house with fine Namako-wall, which designed white cross on the black wall.
family crests on the roofs, the riverside of stone masonry, and lights made with glass and copper. You can also enjoy the different scenery if you get a boat which runs on the Kurashiki River, and look at the townscape and willows along it from the surface of the river.



In Okayama province, there are more destinations which are worth visiting. Maki-do is an amazing limestone cave in Niimi city. The Kamba Falls is a magnificent fall in Maniwa city, which was chosen as one of Japan’s top 100 landscapes. Old Shizutani School in Bizen city is the oldest public school in Japan, which is designated as a national treasure. As for the foods, white peaches and muscats are famous for their delicious taste. Moreover, three local dishes got first, second and ninth prizes at a national competition.



Despite its temperate climate, historical and beautiful scenery, and great food, the number of domestic tourists in Okayama province is very small, and it’s gradually becoming smaller. The tourists who stay there overnight are just 40% of them. The number of foreign tourists got recover from the Tohoku Earthquakes in 2011, and increased slightly, but it’s
KurashikiKurashikiKurashiki

You can enjoy its scenery from the small boat. -full-bloomed cherry bloosoms in spring
also small compared to other provinces. The reasons for the fewer tourists are the poor advertising and inconvenience of the transportation. Okayama province doesn’t have good catchy copy to promote itself so it’s difficult for people to imagine traveling there. Also, public transportation is undeveloped especially in the countryside, which prevents tourists from visiting many destinations in one trip. So tourists just go around the more developed cities where they can get to in a day trip. When the provincial government improves those points, and they can tell overseas tourists that it is free from the damages of the disaster, more tourists will visit Okayama.



(696)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb