Nara


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nara » Nara
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

First CourseFirst CourseFirst Course

Sashimi, Plum Wine, some high quality Sake, and more.
Pretty exhuasted at the moment, so hopefully this entry won:t be too random today... Been walking around Kyoto today, going to check out the older part of the city tonight, maybe catch a Geisha sighting or two..

Nara is both one of the more beautiful cities in Japan I've visited, as well as the friendliest. The train to Nara is a pretty small line.. .at times only one track so the other train needs to wait. met a professor from Korea here, very nice guy he's doing work at the Kyoto University for a year. Also ran into another guy, this time from Toronto, he:s here for a bit visiting his sister. Finally ran into a girl from Japan itself who spoke really good English, she was in the UK for a couple of years doing her post doc. Gotta love the more laid back atmosphere of the smaller cities here.

The sights are quite impressive here. The museum wasn't anything special, but the actual historical sites are laid out quite nice. Most are in a park district now, with like 1200 Deers running around... in ancient times they were considered messengers of god so very well liked. However
2nd Course2nd Course2nd Course

The next course is on the left, various meats and seafood that you had cooked right at your table. in a wooden box.
now its just fun watching the kids feed them these Deer biscuits then run away as the deer approaches. The only group that probably outnumbered the deer were students.. tons of kids, mostly from japan but a couple of groups from Australia too judging by the accents. The most impressive temple was Todai-ji. Inside it is the worlds largest Wooden Structure, and trust me, its HUGE. Inside is just a massive bronze Buddhist statue too. They also have this hollow wooden cylinder. The story goes that anyone who can fit in it gets their wishes granted.. so lots of people try. Kids can fit through it, but that doesn't stop the adults from trying / getting stuck! Lots of fun. Would have tried it myself but the lineup was huge. Also checked out this really impressive Japanese garden which I took a bunch of pictures of, as well as just other random shots around Nara.

Had just an amazing Japanese meal the other day.. its near where I:m staying in the Naramachi district, an older styled bunch of avenues. Turns out it was literaly a five course meal. Sashimi, Tempura, chicken, plum wine, green tea ice cream, other stuff I couldn't identify. Plus some very high end sake in the coolest pouring bottle. The middle of it was full of ice and open on the side, with the top of a flower inside. However it was angled so if you poured it the ice didn't fall out. Quite impressive. Very very VERY cool little restaurant.

Thats it for today, write more later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kofunku-ji 5 Story PagodaKofunku-ji 5 Story Pagoda
Kofunku-ji 5 Story Pagoda

Same as in the other picture.
Deer SnoozingDeer Snoozing
Deer Snoozing

Deer were considered messengers from god hundreds of years ago.
Nara Museum GardenNara Museum Garden
Nara Museum Garden

The museum had a vary nice little garden just outside.
A Shrine EntranceA Shrine Entrance
A Shrine Entrance

Entrance to an unknown shrine here in Nara.
Isui-en ParkIsui-en Park
Isui-en Park

Dating from the Meiji era, this is just an amazing garden.
Isui-en ParkIsui-en Park
Isui-en Park

View from the viewing area.
Who's there?Who's there?
Who's there?

This fish was just staring at me so had to take a picture!
Entrance to Todai-ji Entrance to Todai-ji
Entrance to Todai-ji

This is the gate Nandai-mon
Nandai-mon scaleNandai-mon scale
Nandai-mon scale

This is pretty huge
Nio GuardiansNio Guardians
Nio Guardians

There are two of these 13th century guards in the gate, some of the finest wood statues in Japan if not the world.
Daibutsu-den HallDaibutsu-den Hall
Daibutsu-den Hall

This is the largest wooden structure in the world, and is only 2/3rds of its original size!
Giant BuddhaGiant Buddha
Giant Buddha

Originally cast in 746, this is one of the largest bronze figures in the world. This was recast in the Edo period, and is 16m tall weighing 440 tonnes.


26th September 2008

wooden structure
You weren't kidding - it's huge! It's impressive how a wooden building like that can withstand the test of time, especially considering how humid Japan is. Love the food pics, too.
27th September 2008

Looks awesome man. Especially love the sake bottle. If you can find a good set there, I'd be more then happy to reimburse you if you to pick it up.
27th September 2008

I'll add it to the list, shouldn't be a problem.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb