Dropping the Big One and What Comes After


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Nagasaki » Nagasaki
March 24th 2024
Published: April 27th 2024
Edit Blog Post

In the annals of history, there are many moments which stand out, some for positive reasons, some for what can only be considered negative reasons. In Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the reasons are absolutely mixed. Two events, separated by a mere three days in August of 1945 changed the world forever as the world was thrust into the age of nuclear warfare, a point from which there is no return. Our visi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Yummy Japanese BeefYummy Japanese Beef
Yummy Japanese Beef

Bon Voyage Restaurant Nagasaki.We enjoyed our Philippine waitress.
At the hotel in HirohsimaAt the hotel in Hirohsima
At the hotel in Hirohsima

Let's go look at things
In HiroshimaIn Hiroshima
In Hiroshima

Okonomiyaki
A few blossomsA few blossoms
A few blossoms

Spring came late this year.
Moment of SilenceMoment of Silence
Moment of Silence

Atomic Bomb Dome



27th April 2024

Your time in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Loved the detail on the food and friendly people. It caught my eye that Dave’s father was a soldier in the European theater and after the German surrender, the remaining troops waited to see if they would be sent to the Pacific theater. This was exactly Paul's dad's situation. Though I think he actually may have received orders already. Then the bomb was dropped on the two cities, and instead he was redirected and ended up in Austria and other places. He is 97 and lives with us.
27th April 2024

Your time in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Thanks for reading and commenting. So many lives were impacted by these events. I'm sure Paul's father has many stories to share.
28th April 2024

Nice experience in Nagasaki
The harbour would have been a lovely experience as well for you :)
28th April 2024

Nice experience in Nagasaki
We did enjoy this harbor town. It is far lovelier than imagined.
28th April 2024

The Bombs
Great idea to link these two cities together! I’d love to see the new and improved museum in Hiroshima. And I’ve read that Nagasaki wasn’t the primary target that day and it was a bad day to have good weather.
28th April 2024

The Bombs
From what we learned in the museums Nagasaki was the intended target on that day but many locations were considered. These two cities are linked together in history. Well worth a visit.
30th April 2024

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Visits
The entire commentary was superb to read and enjoy. Through your words I could relive and remember many things about my own travels to these wonderful cities. So much history. It means much more when one can actually physically be there. I agree. Everyone should try to visit these two historical cities and see first hand what nuclear weapons can do.
1st May 2024

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Visits
In my opinion, people visit these two cities to better understand history... and they should. Both of these cities are lovely and have so much more to offer.
5th May 2024

Nagasaki
Hey guys, I was most interested to read MJ's very pertinent comments on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, having visited both sites myself and felt similar emotions. When you get home, if you are interested to read a novel about how a range of survivors responded following the calamitous event, I can recommend the following: https://www.allenandunwin.com/browse/book/Craig-Collie-Nagasaki-9781742372891 Disclosure: It was written by my elder brother!
5th May 2024

Nagasaki
Neil, thank you for the reading recommendation. I'm sure that is an interesting perspective and more interesting to me as it was written by your brother. Emotions are strong when visiting this area of the world.Thank you for reading and commenting.
5th May 2024
Atomic Bomb Dome

Only went to Hiroshima
When we were in Japan we went to Hiroshima but skipped Nagasaki. It sounds from your blog entry that we should visit Nagasaki next time we go there. /Ake
5th May 2024
Atomic Bomb Dome

Only went to Hiroshima
Each town has its own personality but we felt Nagasaki was well worth a visit. Between the history and beauty of the city we enjoyed our time.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb