Return of the Ninjas


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Mie » Uenoshi
June 16th 2006
Published: June 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made it! After a non-starter on Wednesday and a wash-out yesterday (rainy season finally kicked in big time), today we finally got to the much anticipated Iga Ninja Museum in Uenoshi. The skies had cleared completely by this morning and the day's forecast was hot and sunny, so off we went. It was a long journey to get to Uenoshi from Osaka, involving 4 trains and a fair bit of waiting - very unusual for the Japan rail system is so wonderful. The journey was still fun though as we got to stop off in some really out of the way places and amuse ourselves by photographing knackered old vending machines and odd-looking trains. I know it sounds dull but you'll understand why we did it when I post the pictures...

Anyhow, 3 and a bit hours later we found our holy grail. To my surprise, as we neared the museum, Glynn pulled out a rather fetching-looking Jish who was wearing his very own ninja headgear, lovingly crafted out of the remnants of a washbag we no longer need. I think Glynn's become rather fond of making clothes for our little bear and this outfit was the business! Everyone at the museum took a shine to him and I think he felt right at home.

First stop at the museum was a demonstation in the original Iga Ninja clan training house of all the trick doors, gadgets and getaways, their locations and how they worked. It was great fun watching it all and even better when they let us have a go too. The guides were dressed in bright pink ninja outfits so you could see them as they used all the different secret elements of the house, though in reality the ninja tended to wear dark blue outfits (and not black as you see in the movies) as this was actually better night camouflage for them. Bet you didn't know that!

We then moved on to the museum part itself where there were well-presented displays of all the different bits of equipment the ninja used such as the throwing stars, rope ladders, sickles and clothing. There were videos to watch of how these things were used and also loads of hands-on exhibits like how to walk on swampy water, ninja-style. The museum didn't only focus on the fighting side of ninja life either - there was a whole building full of stuff relating to their everyday lives, their physical and mental training regimes and their expertise in fields such as making gunpowder, covert communication and disguise. It was a really well thought through and brilliantly presented collection, made all the better for having explanations of everything in very well written English :-)

The final event at the museum was the live ninja show, featuring the fighting tactics and weaponry including swords, throwing stars and blowpipes. The whole thing was very entertaining and fun. These guys are world class and some of them have been in well-known movies such as The Last Samurai. If you should ever go to the museum, make sure you see all the exhibits before seeing the show as it helps you understand it all much better. All in all, it was an excellent, fun-filled day out - even if the train journey there and back took twice as long as we spent there! A worthwhile trip if you're ever in Japan.

This evening we ventured over to Shinsaibashi, another entertainment district in Osaka. We were there yesterday, keeping ourselves busy in the covered shopping street (easily the longest one we've seen here) while the rain fell heavily outdoors. Whilst perusing the many and varied boutiques, we stumbled across a Shakey's Pizza house with an all-you-can-eat buffet (we found one in Kyoto too) although we didn't stop to eat. Tonight we went back there to feed our faces and I can say we are both truly stuffed. It was a pizza, pasta, spicy potato, curry and salad extravaganza - perfect for vegetarians like me and carnivores like Glynn! My belly is still aching and my head is echoing the words 'never again'.

Tomorrow is our last whole day in Japan but alas the forcast is for a wet day again. At least it stays warm here when it rains! On Sunday, it's off to Hong Kong for the first leg of our tour of China...

Advertisement



17th June 2006

Keep it up peeps i am reading your blogs every day i am glad you are having such an awsome time. Photos are really good it makes me want to join you....
17th June 2006

China
Great to see you enjoying yourselves! Hope you find China as enjoyable.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb