Gion Area


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
September 11th 2005
Published: September 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After all the excitement of yesterday getting the energy together for a tour of a new district of Kyoto wasn’t easy but it is a beautiful city and shortly after arriving I was good to go. This trip I was guided by my home stay brother Tomoki who is the nicest guy you could ever meet. We went to the Gion district in Kyoto which is a very old and famous area where maiko or geisha in training or so I think can still be seen, first stop for us was the Yasaka Shrine. The Yasaka shrine is located on Shijodori a famous street of Kyoto and was constructed in 656 and is a striking vermillion or so says my guild book but it was at least bright orange and pretty cool. Next stop for us in Kyoto was Kiyomizudera one of the most famous sites in Kyoto, however on the way to Kiyomizu we passed some maiko on the street and Tomoki said I should take a picture with them and after a short discussion with their handlers as they were walking with some other normally dressed people who did all the talking for them they agreed so I will include that photo, then it was on to Kiyomizudera which was great it is a large temple that is over 1000 years old and built up high on a hillside offering views from its deck of all of Kyoto and the view was spectacular. It was still early so we then went on to Kodaiji temple another of the many famous temples of Kyoto, Kodaiji may have been my favorite for all the natural beauty it offered with a beautifully landscaped garden which was redesigned by famous garden architect Kobori Ensyu who lived from 1579-1647 so he did it somewhere between those years, but he did a good job and it was designated as a place of historical importance and outstanding scenery by the Japanese government. The temple itself has a long and interesting history as it was founded in 1605 by the widow of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. After all this we went to some crazy arcade which Japan is filled with arcades where you pay by the hour and play all the games you want during the time, but it was a good day and Tomoki was a good guild, though I feel I should start practicing my Japanese a good bit more as the classes are so hard and there in no better place to practice Japanese than in Japan. Take care everyone Later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



15th September 2005

bamboo
all the scenary does look amazing... that bamboo is insane
15th September 2005

best friend
15th September 2005

best friend
kyle! it looks like you are having such an amazing time and im so happy for you. The pictures are truly amazing and make me very jealous :). dammit i want to come visit you. anyway bud just wanted to say hey, and cant wait to see you and hear all the crazy stories im sure you will have. miss you!
17th September 2005

Hey. :) I just realized you had this site; it's pretty awesome. Keep up the updates so we can hear about everything you're doing. It seems like you're getting to see some really amazing architecture and history-I'm very jealous. :) Kobe at night looked freakin amazing. I'd love to see those buildings in person. And the bamboo, as Nate so eloquently put it: insane. I miss you a bunch buddy; hope you continue to have an amazing trip and hope to read more of your updates soon. :)

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb