Shinto: The "Way of the Kami"


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Miyazu
October 29th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Shinto is a religion that originated in Japan with no known founder that was influenced by Buddhism. There are approx. 4 million followers. Shinto is unique in that there is no main God and Gods but rather rituals and ceremonies. The "Kami" is the powers of nature such as animals or trees. However the kami often includes dead people's souls and the followers hold celebrations in order to ensure that the universe will be fine. They offer things to the souls: fish, rice, and vegetables ,but they end up eating the offerings in the end. Dancing and music are also offered. The priest are called Shinto priest and they bless all the followers with a sacred sakaki tree dipped in holy water. What is also quite unique about this religion is there is no written text for this religion because no documents have survived before the 7th century. The closest thing to written text is the "Kojiki" and the "Nihon Shoki" where Shinton mythology showed up in both written in the 8th century. They have no distant moral code.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb