Kyoto - city of temples, shrines, green tea ice cream and school-children galore


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
October 27th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well the honeymooners are off again - this time back to Japan. After a nondescript flight we stood on terra firma once more at Osaka Kansia airport much to my delight! As Cole Porter said in one of his songs “Flying so high in some bird in the sky is my idea of nothing to do” !

Before leaving the airport we hired a mobile phone for the 16 days we'll be here, at a cost of less than $10 - we plan to use it to call Ross in Toyko and Sappy in Hiroshima. Since we're meeting both of them later it's handy to have a phone just in case - it's a worthwhile security blanket we decided. Then it was onto a 'limousine coach' bound for Kyoto Station. Of course even though we've stayed at the Chita Ryokan before - just five minutes walk from the north exit of the station - we managed to take the wrong turn but got there in the end. And so to bed in a futon on a tatami mat floor!

After purchasing a full day bus ticket we spent our first full day here visiting various temples in the
Higashi Honganji TempleHigashi Honganji TempleHigashi Honganji Temple

Opposite the ryokan where we are staying
Arashiyma. Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji areas of Kyoto. In the process we saw a lot of the city of Kyoto and some of the countryside outside the city area, mixing it with the locals on the buses which was fun. It doesn't take you long to feel as though you've got the hang of the public transport system because it's so good. Kyoto seems to run like a well oiled machine!! All the bus drivers, taxi drivers and traffic police wear white gloves and everyone is very polite and friendly which makes for stress-free meandering despite the fact that neither of us can read or speak Japanese. We've tested out the phone - spoke to both Ross and Sappy already. And we enjoyed an evening meal in small bar and restaurant full of Japanese businessmen getting pretty merry.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Kyoto StationKyoto Station
Kyoto Station

Getting ready for Christmas!


27th October 2009

welcome!
Michelle and Kevin! Welcome to Japan!! Looking forward to see you guys soon* hugs
27th October 2009

Hi
Hi Michelle, I can't believe your holidaying again - good on you both. Loved your photos and script - have a great time. Beryl
29th October 2009

Hello Cavanaghs, hope your trip is going smoothly. Photos are beautiful as always. N xx

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb