Temple Hopping and Geisha Spotting


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
February 25th 2009
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After my entry yesterday, we were sitting in the peaceful common area of this secluded guesthouse, and guess who walk in - two boys from Oldham! Small world! The strange thing is that, out of everyone we've met so far - from China, Japan, India, Mexico, America, Canada, etc, we seemed to get on a lot more with these two. I don't know if it's knowing that they're from home that makes you more inclined to like them, or really other nationalities just don't get British humour. I genuinely believe that we're the only country that knows how to use sarcasm!

Today we got a train and then a bus to Kiyomizu-dera, a temple to the Azure Dragon. I'll give you one guess for why, out of all the hundreds of temples and shrines in Kyoto, this is the one we travel across the city to see! Before we went into the temple, we went down into Tainai-meguri, which houses a sacred stone. You travel down the stairs, descending into complete and utter darkness, following the 'Buddha Beads' handrail through these underground corridors, before you come to the sacred stone, lit up, which you're meant to touch and make a wish on. Mark, of course, loved every second of the utterly pitch black corridors, but all I kept thinking about was the girl from The Ring coming out at me!

Then we went into the Temple of the Azure Dragon, and proceeded to follow the customs of the local worshippers, by drinking some of the sacred water (which tasted a little of chlorine). There was the customary smell of incense, and the clinking of coins as people threw them at shrines, and the chanting of priests; all very atmospheric. And then we left the temple and, exploring the outer areas of a few others on the way, headed to Gion, the Geisha district.

We were determined to see a Geisha, but there were quite a lot of Geisha-decoys in Kyoto today. A lot of the younger women, especially teenagers, were wearing kimono, and we saw one woman who was dressed just like a Geisha, but as she was with a man who was equally traditionally dressed and a professional photographer, we thought that it could have been their wedding day. Then we saw two women who were probably maiko, geisha-in-training, because they were quite young. They were getting into a rickshaw, which looked to be quite difficult with the high shoes and traditional clothing they were wearing. They smiled serenely at a few tourists' cameras, before speeding away in the rickshaw. And then, as the afternoon was getting late, we went further into Gion, and saw two definite Geishas, with someone there looking after them as they walked through the narrow, winding streets. They were extraordinarily graceful, and the clothes they wear are beautiful, but it must take them hours to get dressed! I just look forward to the time when the kimona becomes fashionable at home!

So, other than two Geisha spottings, we also got a fortune today from the temple, which said all of the usual positive stuff about careers, relationships, money, etc. The only negative thing was:

"Travel: No profits. Do not try now."

Oh good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



25th February 2009

So many going to Japan
You've now started so many people wanting to go to Japan. John has spent time in Japan and has decided he wants to go there for his next holiday - William also reminisced about his time living there!-it sounds so peaceful and also adventurous - I would also like to visit - just to see / hear the nightingale floor. Oh Ceri - how many days now? You still haven't told me what you want for your birthday - still got at least another month before I see you to think about it. Let me know - we'll either get something in LA or for you when you get back! Keep the commentary coming - everyone thinks what a brill writer you are! Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
25th February 2009

wow
Wow! You saw more maiko/geisha in one day than I did in 4 months! Nice one. LOL re. the travel fortune: we don't believe in that stuff right?

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb