Toji


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

astroboy astroboy astroboy

this is at the station thought it was cool
After filling on our buffet breakfast we headed out to Toji flea market. It was amazing. This market is only held once a month and the size of it was incredible. We really felt like this was a good way to observe local culture. There were stalls selling different types of bonzai trees, Japanese sweets, octopus tentacles, beutiful ornaments and pots etc.

The market was held around Toji temple, which was absolutely gorgeous. It has the country's largest bell and tallest pagoda.

The pagoda is 5 stories (187ft) tall and we felt so tiny standing at the foot of it. The pagoda was rebuilt in 1644 and had previously been burnt down 4 times by lightening.

We also saw the set of 21 buddhist statues located in the lecture hall. The view was absolutely breathtaking and the musty smells added to the atmosphere and people praying infront of us just added to the cultural experience. Unfortanately we were not allowed to take puctures so you'll have to take our word for it.

The gardens surrounding the temple were amazing. The entire place only had traditional Asian toilets (squatting ones) so I(kirsty) decided to wait for the western style toilets.

We also saw lots of shrines where Japanese people were lighting candles, paying money and praying, monks were chanting, it was a fantastic experience.

We are having a great time, there are so many different people staying here and they are really nice, most people here are French or Spanish. The Japanese people are so friendly and helpful and everything seems so happy-we love the green men at the crossings, they make pretty Japanese beeping sounds.

Just had a beer out of a vending machine and about to go off to explore some nore. Although there is a storm at the moment (thunder and lightening).


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



21st September 2008

Looks like you're having a quality time over in Kyoto. The toilet and the vending machines sound insanely suave, astroboy is rockin' my socks off also. The way the Japanese sound is just so how i imagined, go go to stereotypes! Anyhoo glad to hear that you're having a good time and i wait with baited breath for further installments! x
21st September 2008

Kirst you sound like your trying to write the bloody guide book :P Glad your having a good time, it all looks so cool. Bet daves having the time of his life now he's gotten over his nerves :P I am very envious, just wish I had the money to go traveling instead I'm stuck here writing my thesis which is going ok btw. Anyway I should get back to work, lucky gits.
22nd September 2008

soooo pretty...boo im jealous,johns telling me off for writing two seperate comments aparently i should have read everything then commented all together lol. hugs glad you having a good time :D

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb