A fabulous day of touring, food and fun!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
November 9th 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're back! What an amazing day so far!!!! It's 5:15 p.m. and we've been out pretty much all day. I just got back from a workout in the pool and feel great!

I was up early again this morning; most people were.........up, hungry and rarin' to go! I had a Japanese breakfast this morning; very tasty. Miso soup, egg curd, tofu, pickles, vegetables, kelp, etc. etc. Very light and very enjoyable! We were on the bus and off to Nara (about a 40 min. bus ride). It was another beautiful and perfect day for touring! Not too hot, not too cold. Just right!

Our first visit was to the Gekkeikan Okura Museum, where we saw a video on the process of making Japanese Sake (wine) in olden style. We were able to sample the Sake, which was nice. The tour was quite interesting; just like our breweries at home.

Then it was off to the Todaiji Temple, noted for the World's Largest Wooden structure with its Great Buddha, Deer Park and Kasuga Shrine with its thousands of stone lanterns. The stone lanterns are donated by business men who have experienced success. There are literally thousands of these lanterns
Waking up in Kyoto......Waking up in Kyoto......Waking up in Kyoto......

The view from my hotel room.......the train, the "bullet" and lots of cars.
around the property. (My Aunt Simone would have LOVED it!) The ride to Nara was enjoyable. We passed many of the homes, fruit trees, people on bicycles, people walking their dogs (JoAnn, there was a woman walking her Schnauzer dog, complete with a little sweater on him! Too cute! The bus was moving too quickly; I couldn't get a picture.) We passed homes in the country, rice fields, and a major road system (under-passes, over-passes).

We spent time at the Temple, walked around the grounds enjoying the deer (and they are everywhere........kind of like the cows in India.......very sacred and well protected.) It's always nice to have these walks in between the great meals we are having. Lunch was at a Japanese/French restaurant in Nara. We had soup, salad, chicken and a creme brulee to die for!!!!! The ride back to Kyoto was fairly quiet as many people grabbed a few zzzzzzzzz's along the way. Still adjusting to the time change. It was interesting to hear our tour guide explain various customs such as their working traditions, schooling, how they celebrate various holidays and vacation time; as well, she explained the customs now for the working couple and their aging parents. Retirement homes are an accepted norm now, unlike past traditions.

Tonight, we went to a restaurant for a Shabu-Shabu dinner (Japanese fondu) and the entertainment was amazing. We watched as the young Geisha girls entertained. They are delightful and absolutely gorgeous. They helped, at each of the tables, as we learned the fine art of Japanese fondue. Then, in came the drummers! Wow. What strength, poise and talent! The evening ended on a very pleasant note as many of us got to try on the kimonos and get our pictures taken. The food was tasty and the talent was enjoyable. It was a very relaxing and fun evening! Back to the hotel just after 9 p.m. and it's time to get organized, for we leave in the morning as the adventure continues in Hong Kong! I have thoroughly enjoyed my "quiet" time sipping kelp tea with plum, while lounging in the cozy kimono.......and "chatting" with all of you.

We hope you have enjoyed our visit in Japan. The notes, e-mails and messages are much enjoyed by all! Buckle up and stay tuned as we move on to China. We leave at noon tomorrow.

(Good night,
A sycamous tree......A sycamous tree......A sycamous tree......

Don't know about you, but I'd never seen one before.
Mom. I love you!)

Happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A cemeteryA cemetery
A cemetery

It's more common now for people to request cremation.
Let me out of here!Let me out of here!
Let me out of here!

I wonder what Carroll had to eat for breakfast.......she looks a little perturbed, ha ha!
Ahhhhh, sake samples!Ahhhhh, sake samples!
Ahhhhh, sake samples!

Great way to start the day.
Lots of choices.......Lots of choices.......
Lots of choices.......

It's like a "sake tasting bar"......
Todaiji TempleTodaiji Temple
Todaiji Temple

Noted for World largest wooden structure with its Great Buddha
Susan is on her way to Paradise!Susan is on her way to Paradise!
Susan is on her way to Paradise!

Legend has it that if you are able to crawl through the hole in the bottom of this pillar, you're on your way........
Cutie putootie!Cutie putootie!
Cutie putootie!

This little gal was coming from a baptism ceremony. Adorable!
The "wish" board......The "wish" board......
The "wish" board......

commonly used by teen-agers adding their wish for "that special" boyfriend or girlfriend........perhaps I should add mine to the board LOL
The picture is a bit fuzzy, but......The picture is a bit fuzzy, but......
The picture is a bit fuzzy, but......

look at who is looking at who........
The roadway system......The roadway system......
The roadway system......

On the way out of Kyoto......


9th November 2007

Just got caught up...
I'm so glad your doing this blog again Pat. Everyone at my office is loving all the pictures!!!
9th November 2007

Beautifuly Japan
Hi Pat - Loved those photos and stories about Japan. The little girl is probably 3 years old, as that is when they wear their 1st komono for a special celebration. Would have loved the drummers too - and everything else. How was the komono? I hear they are quite heavy to wear and a dresser is required to get the thing on properly. Tks for keeping in touch - it's great. Diann
9th November 2007

Awesome!
Great pictures. You guys are having so much fun! So how was the Sake? Does it taste a little different there. And is it better warm or cold? What beautiful Kimono's. Keep on smil'n! xo
9th November 2007

Red Kimonos
Hi Pat! I love the pictures of the beautiful young ladies in the exquisiste kimonos. You look absolutely fabulous in your red kimono. Now I know why you have to continue to exercise while you are on the trip. You need your energy and you need to work off the wonderful food and beverages. Have a great weekend. I'll look forward to your blogs when I come into work Monday morning.
9th November 2007

Hi from Edm.
Things are cooling down here...okay, "colding down"...and there is talk of snow. Jan B. need not be too concerned yet about her Mom's driving around ...yet. Jan needs to hear that Diane H. has been home since last weekend and as Elsie wrote,"She's doing okay." You tourists are doing more than okay as evidenced by the photos....have spotted my two friends several times. Good shots of your environment and I appreciate your sharing it all with us.
9th November 2007

The komono
Hi Diann! Yes, the little girl is 3 years old, and adorable! The komonos we tried on last night were, in fact, quite heavy and we were helped with them. It was a fun experience! So glad you are following along.....
9th November 2007

The sake.......
Hi Michaelann! Glad you're enjoying the pictures! The sake was fresh and fine, thanks. We all were given a sample to take away......I still have mine for on the plane. We had it warm, so cannot comment on the "cold-ness" quality.
9th November 2007

Brings back memories
Hi Pat, Your blog is taking me down memory lane. I was in Kyoto twice - in 1998 when son Rick was teaching in Japan and we visited him, and again three years ago when I went to Japan for the Rotary International Convention. My favorite place is the Golden Temple - it so lovely. We went to Nara the first time in Japan - I loved the deer roaming all over the park, and the wooden temple is so unique. Everything that you are doing and seeing, I did before. Keep the blog coming. Warm regards, Judy
10th November 2007

Sake is good anytime!!!
Hey Pat...this is the first time I have ever been attached to someones travelling blog..have to say I am enjoying YOUR travels very much...wish I could have been there to sample the sake with you....all is well here...Make the most of each day!!! Love Greg and Wendy
10th November 2007

All caught up
Thanks for the great updates. The group looks like they are a lot of fun. Your photos are amazing. Glad you're having a good time. Buy something fabulous in Hong Kong!!
12th November 2007

vacationing with you
Hi Pat I love you bog, I feel like I am vacationing with you.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb