The world of Kimono


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kanagawa
July 6th 2021
Published: July 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

During the past year I have been taking live stream virtual trips around the world, usually these have been sightseeing or walking tours but this tour sounded very interesting as the Japanese guide took us into her home to explain about the world of Kimono.

Eriko demonstrated three different type of Kimono and how they are represented to show respect for different occasions, whether for doing the dishes, house chores or taking a bath, to visiting friends or for more formal occasions.

Eriko’s great grandfather was a Kimono Master Craftsman, the kimonos he made for family members have now been passed down the generations and Eriko was very proud to have worn a very beautiful purple one for her brothers wedding.

Formal kimonos are worn on special occasions and celebrations - even numbers are considered lucky in Japan and Eriko showed a photo of her wearing a kimono on her 5th birthday,

Unmarried women wear the furisode, which has sleeves between 100cm - 107cm long. This kimono type come with very dramatic designs to catch the eye.

A more casual kimono is less ornate with a repeating pattern and can be worn around the house or
for a stroll around the town.

Visiting wear kimono designs are suitable for various ceremonies and semi-formal house parties.

Kimonos are cut from one bolt of fabric in 7 pieces. The length of the obi (belt) can be as much as 6 mtrs!

Usually made from silk but for less formal wear cotton and wool fabrics are also used.

Eriko went on to show how to wear a kimono, it used to take her one & a half hours to dress herself, she now manages that in 10 minutes.

The intricate way in which the garment is worn was fascinating.

For both kimono underwear and the kimono there is one important rule. Always wear the left side over the right side. Only dead people have their kimono worn right over left.

Eriko stores her kimono in a chest that belonged to her great grandfather, once folded they are placed between Washi Paper to store.

I loved that there is a place to pop your mobile phone inside the Obi, who knew that all those years ago this beautifully assembled garment would be so useful for modern technology.

https://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb