Out of the Rain


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ishikawa » Kanazawa
April 22nd 2023
Published: April 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 27_Japan



April 16 Port of Call: Kanazawa, Japan - 55°F/13°C – Light rain in morning, sunny in afternoon – Wind: 25 mph



Overnight we sailed up the western coast of Japan and into Kanazawa harbour this morning under a rainbow. What a pleasant sight but it does beg the question: Are we actually going to luck out and not get soaked again? Our excursion destinations today were to the Kenrokuen Gardens and Omicho Market.

The gardens are reported to be one of the top three in Japan and are a masterfully designed landscape. There are many winding paths, ponds, streams, towering pines and flowering bushes.

After a leisurely wonder through the grounds, we crossed over the highway to the nearby Kanazawa Castle Park. The castle suffered the fate of so many of its kind and had been burned. The government reconstructed several the buildings and restored the ancient fortification walls and moats.

Following those pleasant outdoor pursuits, we toured the Omicho Market a large fish market in the center of town. All of the sea’s abundance was on display for the happy chef. You could also purchase some delicacies for snacks, to be prepared in front of you and consumed either raw or cooked, your choice.

Back on board we were required to visit the Japanese Immigration officers for a face-to-face passport inspection as we were about to exit Japan for a brief visit to Korea. Once the inspection was concluded you were not permitted to return to shore, so any last-minute shopping had to be concluded before visiting Immigration. So, we did just that. After lunch we went ashore at the appointed time, did a little shopping from the vendors set up in the terminal and then saw the immigration officers. Our passports were inspected and stamped out of Japan before we returned to ship for the rest of our stay in this port.

As an aside, Japan is the first nation we have travelled in that inspects our passports every time we leave the ship to go ashore. There are always Immigration Officers present at the cruise terminals along with Quarantine Officers. Japan has very strict rules about the importation of fruits, vegetables, or meats into their nation and can impose very stiff fines if you are caught.

Tonight, we had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, one of the specialty restaurants aboard. As an appetizer I had the Clothesline Candied Bacon. I’m sure I have the recipe from a previous cruise and will have to try to prepare it when I get home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.1607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb