May 17: Go Tigers!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hyogo
May 31st 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

away they go!away they go!away they go!

7th inning sperm shaped balloon release...
A couple of weeks ago, the Wakayama JET group arranged for us all to go to a Hanshin Tiger's game...

Japanese vocab
yakyuu: baseball
natsukashii: nostalgic

It's something everyone should go to at least once while in Japan- a Hanshin Tiger's game. Who cares if you're not interested in baseball? You don't even have to watch the game, you can just watch the fans! It's all about the atmosphere. Baseball games in Japan remind me of sitting (well, more like standing) in the student section Memorial Stadium at the Cal vs. USC games...everyone stands and cheers the whole time, waving around giant flag, with their own bands playing below, and goofy mascots dancing around with oversized heads.

Weeeeeeeeeeell, Japanese pro yakyu games may not have fully bands going, but they make up for it by having cheers (that everyone knows and sings) for each player when they step up to bat. Also, their mascots are way more lively and do flip-flops when someone scores...AND, they are equal opportunity mascots- one boy tiger mascot and one girl tiger mascot (yeah, yeah, she's completely decked out in pink and bows, but hey, it's something I guess). The crowd is
KoshienKoshienKoshien

The Tiger's field
standing and cheering for most of the game, or at least when their team is at bat. The Hanshin Tigers play ball in the Koshien Stadium, making Kobe their general stomping grounds...but their popularity doesn't stop at the borders of Hyogo prefecture....no no, the Tigers are by far the most popular baseball team in Japan. Everyone loves them it and their fans are known to be the most numerous and enthusiastic.

Also, another fun tradition...in America we have the 7th inning stretch, but in Japan they have the 7th inning sperm shaped balloon release. Basically, you can buy a pack of balloons of 6 balloons for about 200 yen. Then at the bottom of the 7th, you can see everyone getting ready. In the crowd, you see spots of color popping up all over the place- everyone is blowing up their balloons. They often all colors and are always shaped like long, thin tadpoles...it's kind of odd. Soon, the whole crowd is dotted with colorful balloons, waiting to be sent flying...I don't know how people know, but everyone let's go at the same time, the balloons go screeching and flying into the air, filling up the stadium and landing on the field, in the crowd, on the streets- pretty much everywhere. Then the staff runs around and picks up all the balloons in record time...it's definitely a sight to see. Then some people save some balloons and release them if the Tiger's win.

While the baseball game atmosphere was a bit natsukashii, I missed ball game food- fries, hot-dogs, chili dogs...in Japan they serve things more suited to the Japanese palate, such as yakisoba and curry rice. It's just not the same...

ps. before the game, we went to Kobe harbor to this brazilian BBQ restaurant- SO GOOD! They come around with giant skewers of MEAT and cut you slices right then and there...mmmmmm...beef!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ready and waitingready and waiting
ready and waiting

you can see everyone has a balloon
Hanshin spiritHanshin spirit
Hanshin spirit

The tiger's colors are yellow and black (the Yomiuri Giants in Tokyo have the orange I guess)


2nd June 2008

Cute picture of you and Christine with the flowers...makes me wonder what hokkaido will have in store for us this summer...With any luck we'll be able to see some flower fields! PS nice commentary on the 7th inning stretch haha...

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb