Sapporo's Snow Festival


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Sapporo
February 4th 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_Ih.html DAY 1: Saturday, February 4th The adventure started bright and early (6am!) when I rolled off my futon at Ryokan Casey (a.k.a Casey Hotel... a.k.a Casey's apartment where I spend every weekend). Out of excitement I jumped up and shouted "We're going to Hokkaidooooo!!!" only to be shot down by Casey who quickly reminded me that it was still only 6am... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kenji and RyousukeKenji and Ryousuke
Kenji and Ryousuke

After picking these guys up from a Hostess Bar (I can't even explain) we had them guide us to a good bar, they were sooo much fun!
Too much fun!Too much fun!
Too much fun!

Talk about entertainment!
A little challenge... too bad I lost.A little challenge... too bad I lost.
A little challenge... too bad I lost.

I was pretty good, for about the first 3 seconds.
57th Annual Sapporo Snow Festival!!!57th Annual Sapporo Snow Festival!!!
57th Annual Sapporo Snow Festival!!!

Japanese lesson of the day: "uki matsuri" = "snow festival"
Sapporo Snow FestivalSapporo Snow Festival
Sapporo Snow Festival

After a late night, this was a pretty rough morning, but these fat-headed mascots cheered us up.
"The Golden Pavilion of Horyuji Temple""The Golden Pavilion of Horyuji Temple"
"The Golden Pavilion of Horyuji Temple"

This snow sculpture is 13 meters high and 24 meters wide with a depth of 25 meters! It took approximately 450 six-ton dump trucks of snow to create! From Jan.6 to Feb.30, 4,600 sculptors worked their butts off to create this breathtaking snow sculpture. So amazing!
"Happy Taiwan""Happy Taiwan"
"Happy Taiwan"

15m x 18m x 24m
Sculpture Contestants hard at workSculpture Contestants hard at work
Sculpture Contestants hard at work

Every year there is a competition between a handful of countries to see who can create the best sculpture in a certain period of time, with limited tools.
Canada's contribution to the snow sculpture contestCanada's contribution to the snow sculpture contest
Canada's contribution to the snow sculpture contest

The Canadian sculpture was of a northern hunter being surprised by a large walrus. Unfortunately I did not get to see the finished product (so much to see, too little time).
"Royal Exhibition Building (Melbourne, Australia)""Royal Exhibition Building (Melbourne, Australia)"
"Royal Exhibition Building (Melbourne, Australia)"

Height: 12 meters; Width: 18 meters; Depth 16 meters
"Dream Ai-land Okinawa" Ice Sculpture"Dream Ai-land Okinawa" Ice Sculpture
"Dream Ai-land Okinawa" Ice Sculpture

Height: 15 meters; width: 25 meters; depth: 20 meters! This sculpture took 800 truck loads of snow, 27 days of hard work, and 3,600 people to complete.



9th February 2006

WOW
WOW! The snow sculptures are absolutely amazing – what a sight! But the funniest thing I’ve ever seen is you guys playing with the crab legs – I laughed right out loud – explain that to the Boss!
10th February 2006

AMAZING
THEY ARE THE MOST AMAZING SNOW SCULPTOR'S I'VE SEEN SO MUCH TIME PUT INTO EACH ONE. PUTS THE ORILLIA'S WINTER CARNIVAL SCULPTORS TO SHAME.
10th February 2006

Looks like a GREAT time!
Hi Darling, As much as I miss you, it looks like you are still having a blast! Do they need anymore teachers there? ha. In the one picture beside a snow sculpture it almost looks like you are doing the "dead frog" pose. haha. I am off to see the Ottawa carvings this weekend, but nothing will compare to your picts!!!
11th February 2006

sapporo trip
But where are all the snowmobiles with all that beautiful snow.I'm glad to see you are having an interesting,fun, educational experience on your busy socializing week-ends..???? excellent pictures..
15th February 2006

Lets go back!!
What fun we had! way to write about the little things like the crab lighters...those were classic! As your dad mentioned- our educational weekends seem to be going over quite well. Next up...naked man festival!!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb