Japan, Hokkaido , Day 7


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Kitami
July 8th 2013
Published: July 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Shiobetsu to Lake Saroma Day 7. Sunday. Not as far to go today with just 42 miles and a paltry climb of 200m to Lake Saroma near the coast, which is the largest lake in Hokkaido, producing a large array of fish; oyster, scallops and shrimp etc. Not fish again for tea. The lake is actually salt water since it has a narrow channel out to sea and has a fishing harbour with scores of boats in regular use. The ride was a slight downhill for the first 10 miles and luckily without those bad joints across the road, every 20 metres, which we had on the hills the past few days. We passed many farms, both arable and dairy, which appeared quite prosperous with newish buildings, tractors and equipment. One dairy farm had about 50 buildings full of cows and calves - absolutely massive. There did not seem to be too much land attached so how they found fodder and got rid of the slurry and bedding I do not know. On our way we visited a Shinto Temple and were told by Ken the rituals involved before ringing the bell and making a short prayer, not to a god since they do not have one, but to the spirits maybe. It was very pleasant at the Temple since it was in the shade, away from the sun and a temperature of 32 degrees. We also found a street drinks vending machine selling Iced Coffee which was extremely pleasant and a change from the copious amounts of water we were having to drink. Once at the hotel we put our bikes in the lobby, along with four motorcycles and a replica 1929 Ford Model B.

Sorry, I cannot show any photos since I am submitting this on my phone and it does not seem able to see the photos. Will try later if I can get on a computer which has English on Bye Bye for now. R.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb