Hiroshima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Hiroshima
October 15th 2012
Published: October 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ringing the Peace BellRinging the Peace BellRinging the Peace Bell

Hiroshima Peace Park
We arrived in Hiroshima around lunchtime and another beautiful, warm day greeted us. We dumped our stuff at the hostel (a little more hostelish than the place in Nara, although still fantastic) and headed out to Peace Park, where the Memorial Museum, Children's Peace Monument (1000 cranes story) and the A Bomb Dome is located. A tram took us right to the epicentre and we wandered around for a while, taking our time to look at the various monuments. Heading in to the museum was interesting and provided us with the Japanese interpretation of events before, during and after the second world war. Lots of artefacts, maps, photographs and information about what happened. Eleanor was great; asking relevant questions and taking in a lot all at once. I hope she doesn't have nightmares.

After sampling the delights on offer at the B1 of a nearby department store, dinner was bought when the discounting was in progress. Lots of sushi was on offer but also some meals that could be reheated. So we made our selections and took our purchases back to the hostel where we made use of the kitchen amenities. The evening passed quickly whilst we were talking to
Children's MemorialChildren's MemorialChildren's Memorial

In memory of Sadako, the young girl who inspired millions of people around the world to make paper cranes in support of peace.
some other travellers and before we knew it, it was time to head off to bed. Another day of super sightseeing awaited us, so we wanted to be bright and chirpy for the trip out to another of Japan's major attractions.

In the morning we decided to go to Miyajima Island. Again, one of the top three places in Japan! I'm not sure who is doing the rankings, but I think a little cross-checking wouldn't go astray. Dean wasn't all that keen, wanting to go to the edge of a live volcano. When he discovered it would take three hours to get there, he was more than happy to join our 30 minute trip. The ferry to the island afforded a nice view of O-Torii Gate. It was high tide, so the water had engulfed the nearby Itsukushima Shrine. By the timed we walked to the shrine, it had opened for visitors once the water was swept out. A photographer's paradise (probably top three in the world), we decided to ascend Mt Misen, with a little bit of help from the ropeway . It was hard work once you got off the gondolas, but the view was worth it.
MemorialMemorialMemorial

Peace Park
Think 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', only more stairs, less food (and Dean noted, less murders) and surrounded by water. The 300 metres from the cable car gondola took 30 minutes. I didn't want to climb another step, however the rusty building at the summit (selling only five things - sake, beer, 2 minute noodles, noodles and snow cones), blocked the view so you had to climb the stairs to the second floor. As Dean predicted, a vending machine selling cold (and hot) drinks was located on this level. How it had been dragged up here, I don't know. Probably air lifted in. It's probably illegal to have a tourist attraction without a vending machine.

We rested for a while before beginning the descent. On all the walks we have done so far, I've noticed heaps of spiders with massive webs between the trees. They are smaller than the orb spiders we saw in Darwin, but they are still spiders. On this walk, they were actually above our heads. I didn't point out these ones to Dean because he thinks it's hilarious if you touch their webs. He actually did this on Naoshima Island and the spider sprinted towards his hand. I think it's best if Dean is oblivious to their presence.

Starving from the great climb of 2012, it was 4:15pm before we arrived back in Hiroshima. After walking in a big circle to find something to eat, I cracked it and took Eleanor off to the station and said we were eating the first thing we saw. McDonalds it was. Dean refused (funny how he's not so fussy back in Melbourne...) and ate next door where you stand and eat your bowl of noodles while waiting for the train. Walking back to the hostel, we passed the Hiroshima Carp Merchandise shop (it's close to their stadium). Looking for a cap or t-shirt, there were very slim pickings due to it being the end of the season. We ended up buying an 'I love Carp' bib for baby Harry at a 7/11 at the train station the next day.

Back at the hostel, I had a little rest while Dean and Eleanor went downstairs and played. He booked our ferry tickets to Korea, with some help from the friendly receptionist, because the website was all in Japanese. Hopefully we will be on a ferry on Friday, although he could have booked a fishing trip for all we know.

Dinner was at a traditional Japanese BBQ place (I can't remember the name) where we cooked our meal over a charcoal bucket thing. A rowdy group of Japanese businessmen were merrily drinking and eating next to us. I don't speak Japanese, but judging by their glances, I think we were the topic of conversation on numerous occasions. I accidentally let a piece of cabbage go up the exhaust fan, so I'm hoping the place hasn't exploded due to a blockage in their system.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

O-Torii Gate in the backgroundO-Torii Gate in the background
O-Torii Gate in the background

Another magnificent day of sightseeing.
TouristsTourists
Tourists

There are heaps of these cutouts at every place you visit.
On top of old rustyOn top of old rusty
On top of old rusty

The view was worth the climb.
Going down the ropewayGoing down the ropeway
Going down the ropeway

The gondola was a long way up!


16th October 2012

If it's Monday, it must be Hiroshima!
Whirlwind tour of Japan looks to be going well. Beautiful sunshine in the all the photos. Turned very cold here. Half-term next week for 2 weeks - hurrah!! Did you really go on that cable car? Makes the Emirates Air Line look pathetic! Did you find Uniqlo? Was it cheaper? Christy and Stella x
17th October 2012

Japan
Hi guys, have enjoyed the blog so far, keep up the reports. I went back to work today and Jeannine goes tomorrow. Vietnam and Cambodia are now a memory. Our three weeks went so fast! let us know if you want any info on Phu Quoc and Southern Cambodia (where I ate the almost best meal(s) of my life (second only to the Andrew's exotic cook-ups) Obe

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb