Hiroshima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Hiroshima
May 17th 2008
Published: May 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hiroshima is absolutely breathtaking. Its so hard to imagine that the place was flattened by the worlds first atomic bomb. The atmosphere is really peaceful and the people are so relaxed. The history is fascinating and we did spend 3 or 4 hours in the museum just reading about the events of that day. It was truly horrifying. you have to visit this place. I think its been our best place in Japan...

The city is totally reconstructed apart from the A dome which sort of survived as it was directly under the explosion. They have chosen to leave it untouched. The stories are amazing, it has to be seen to be believed....


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

This mound is a grave. As all medical and departmental records were destroyed, 1000's were never identified.
HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

This is the childrens memorial. There was a young girl who developed leukeamia a few years after the bomb and she believed that if she made 1000 cranes from paper she would be cured. She made the cranes but sadly 8 months later died. Now all the school children come and bring cranes to her memorial.
HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

This is the A dome, the hypo-centre of the bomb. The walls are still standing but everyone inside was killed instantly in the 4000 degree heat.
HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

This is the Aioi bridge, a T shaped bridge which was the original target for the bomb. All the buildings in a 4km radius were destroyed but the bridge survived and continued to be used for a further 35 years!!
HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

This is the castle, rebuilt later to replicate the destroyed one!!
HiroshimaHiroshima
Hiroshima

steve dressed as a soldier!!


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb