Kyushu Basho - Day 5


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka » Fukuoka
November 15th 2007
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Banzai! More shots from the Fukuoka Basho! After grabbing a quick night bite at one of them mushrooming streetside soba places I spent the chilly evening walking around the northern waterfront.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

USA 6.2 CAN 6.2 ITY 6.1 RUS 6.0 JPN 6.4USA 6.2 CAN 6.2 ITY 6.1 RUS 6.0 JPN 6.4
USA 6.2 CAN 6.2 ITY 6.1 RUS 6.0 JPN 6.4

Masatsukasa (JW8) and Ichihara (JE11) perform their spectacular synchronized stagedive.
Catwalk Part 1Catwalk Part 1
Catwalk Part 1

Higashi juryo 14 rikishi Sagatsukasa performs the ring entering ceremony
Catwalk Part 2Catwalk Part 2
Catwalk Part 2

Higashi juryo 10 rikishi Mokonami performs the ring entering ceremony
Catwalk Part 3Catwalk Part 3
Catwalk Part 3

Higashi juryo 4 rikishi Shimootori performs the ring entering ceremony.
Who won???Who won???
Who won???

The five shimpan are up with the Gyoji discussing the verdict in Kyokunankai vs. Hoshihikari.
Deformation ZoneDeformation Zone
Deformation Zone

Ichihara's (JE11) cheek absorbs the power of Masatsukasa's (JW8) onslaught.
"And in the eastern corner...""And in the eastern corner..."
"And in the eastern corner..."

The gyoji announces Satoyama vs. Ushiomaru.
This will hurtThis will hurt
This will hurt

Tochinohana (JE3) thrown by Hakuba (JW2). This is a painful example of the art of [url=http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/kimarite/39.html]shitatenage[/url].
Oshidashi!Oshidashi!
Oshidashi!

Chiyohakuho (JE5) pushes out Toyozakura (JW1).
Big in JapanBig in Japan
Big in Japan

Higashi rikishi of the makuuchi division perform the dohyo-iri
Stompin' out evil spirits!Stompin' out evil spirits!
Stompin' out evil spirits!

East Yokozuna Hakuho performs the dohyo-iri
Grrrr...Grrrr...
Grrrr...

Global politics in a micro-environment - The unmistakable Georgian hothead Kokkai (ME13) vs. new Russian talent Wakakirin (MW15).
One more for the CIS...One more for the CIS...
One more for the CIS...

After Mongolia, now the Commonwealth of Independent States is slowly embracing the art of Sumo. The Estonian giant Baruto (ME16) currently represents the westernmost stretch of elite sumo.
Sumo concerns you, me, everyone!Sumo concerns you, me, everyone!
Sumo concerns you, me, everyone!

As you can see, sumo is not something for the fanatics. Except maybe for that henka-lovvin' Roho fan club.
Not Kakizoe's finest...Not Kakizoe's finest...
Not Kakizoe's finest...

Kakizoe (ME14) set off prematurely against Roho (ME12) not once, not twice but thrice. You could tell from the expression on Roho's face that he had a thing or two to comment about it.
Grrraauurgghh!Grrraauurgghh!
Grrraauurgghh!

Kaiho (MW14) wrestles Yoshikaze (MW10) to his knees. Perhaps he wanted to impress the two buxom babes on the D-section that kept calling out his name (only to be replaced by Kasugao the coming day, it's a tough world out there).
Sumo ZenSumo Zen
Sumo Zen

Wakanosato (ME8) exudes nothing but tranquillity as he prepares to enter the dohyo.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb