SUMO!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka » Fukuoka
November 25th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the last 4 days seem to have merged into one very long day with very little sleep! ... but what fun i've had!

on thursday... laura and i went out with a few of our friends for gareth's birthday. we went to a delicious restaurant where we got lots of free sushi and sashimi (as the owner knows gareth really well). we all enjoyed a few drinks there whilst waiting for our friends (from training) to arrive - they should have arrived in saga around midnight but neither laura nor i had heard from anyone by then. the guys who were coming to stay with me eventually rocked up at about 2am so we met them in a bar and continued to have a few drinks with them... the girls staying with laura didn't arrive until 6am! they'd got lost a fair few times on the way i think! we stayed out drinking until about 7:30am and then crawled home, whilst passing lots of smart-looking people on their way to work!

on friday, we emerged from our beds at about 3pm and i took everyone to our favourite ramen restaurant. we had a bit of a walk around saga, before getting ready for the evening... we went out to a restaurant for tabi hodai (all you can eat and drink!) it was really great to catch up with everyone and we were all saying that even though we've only ever met each other a handful of times, we all feel like we've been friends for years... it's so easy to get on with everyone! afterwards, we went to a karaoke room and were up on the chairs singing and dancing! we went to another bar after that and met up with some of our saga friends before eventually stumbling back to mine at 4:30am...

we were all super excited for the sumo on saturday, so after a quick lunch we took the train to fukuoka...
we watched the sumo for about 2 hours and REALLY enjoyed it! i LOVE the way they spend so long just psyching each other out with all the angry stares and grunts and the actual physical contact lasts only a matter of seconds... it really builds up the tension as well, as you never know when they're going to pounce!

we found a restaurant in the evening and then took everyone to our favourite bar 'festa' for drinks and dancing - i tried to get everyone doing the locomotion around the bar and was pleased to see a few of the japanese joining in! we were all starting to struggle around 2/3am so tucked into some pizza at a different bar and then went and sat in mos burger, whilst desperately trying to keep awake until the first train back to saga at 5am! we eventually got back to mine at 7am and just crashed! i felt so bad for everyone having to drive back home as they must have been shattered!

such a fun weekend... and so great to remind myself that i'm young, care-free and crazy and should act like that more often! though, judging by the bags under my eyes today - maybe i should make sleep and drinking water a priority for the next few weeks until i fully recover!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



26th November 2007

Hi, Well I'm just getting ready for work but reading your few days of fun has tired me out. Good to know you have made so many friends out there - hopefully you will keep contact long into the future. Also I haven't had my breakfast yet but the sight of the sushi! What can one say. Ugh - would that do? Keep smiling. Elaine
27th November 2007

What a big botty
Hiya you are going back to your uni days. whats it like to be young free and out until 7am because i wouldn't know. you are having to much fun. One more week of uni then hols. got to start writing my assignment scarey. work is dragging now can't believe still 3 and half weeks left.I am coming to live with you I need a holiday.Keep living it up for us married mothers!

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb