At Sea. Between Singapore and Jakarta. February 19, 2016


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
March 10th 2016
Published: March 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

ms Rotterdamms Rotterdamms Rotterdam

Our floating hotel!
At sea. Feb. 19.

First departure from Singapore, approaching Indonesia, we had the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. We met many new people, some of whom have been on board as long as we have. We met Sandy and Cyril from north of NYC, who had organized our 8-person tour of Jakarta for tomorrow. Also met tour provider Master Researcher Cheryl, wife of the Master Organizer Elliot, from Montreal, who before boarding in Singapore came down with gastroenteritis. I made contact with Elliott on Cruise Critic and we chatted on the phone in November and December. They had researched the crap out of every Indonesian port and organized terrific private tours, some of which are priced unbelievably low in comparison with other ports, and with the ship's offerings. Many offer the same itinerary as the ship tours, at a much lower cost.

Ken from Florida (a poker buddy), Lena and Bob from Vancouver, Doug and Marianne from Vancouver Island, Ron (another poker buddy) and Ako from London, Doni and Ed were all met and promise to be great traveling companions through Elliot and Cheryl's Indonesian tours.

The word is we disembarked 530 people in Singapore, and gained 600. The average age has dropped by a couple of decades and the bars, music spots and casino are livelier.

New people at the poker table last night and a couple more tonight. Two have turned out to be quite dangerous, including one guy who says he remembers me from the South Pacific in 2014. He certainly knows me, and the way he plays, I'm very surprised I don't remember him. Up to now, I had been seesawing back and forth over the breakeven point. I was felted tonight (lost all my chips) for the second time since boarding.

Dolphins! Flying fish! Everywhere

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb