Sorry for the delay


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
June 27th 2015
Published: June 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

DAY 6 & 7 -



Sorry for the awfully long delay there hasn't been any internet here for the last few days. I am currently in a fancy resort within a fence on the island having a sprite and using there wifi its good to know i can come here if i need it. The last few days have been busy and we have been setting up the wet lab room so we are ready for the corals today...

here are some things i have been doing over the last few days... in no real order but days dont really feel in much order here anyways, it has been going so fast.

We had a dive in the morning to practise more reef survey techniques, it was really helpful as i will probably be using many of these techniques to do my project. After the dive we had another lecture and then we went for a snorkel in the mangroves, it was a bit scary at first because we saw a lot of sea snakes and upside jellyfish but it was cool to see how different the environment was compared to the reef system. After one more lecture we had a bit of time to study and then we did our exam and it went ok (i passed). After we brought the tables outside and had dinner outside there was music playing and we had a bit of a party night.. We had a couple of beers by the beach and the stars were amazing they have a big speaker system down there as well. It was really relaxed and a really good way to get to know people better.

We had a de-gas day - so basically a chill day where we have nothing to do. So i went to the beach (there is one small beach where you can sunbathe) and I have been relaxing — as i am typing this there are some other people who are retaking the test. its quite unfair really.

My computer is being quite weird still and does the RAM problem thing pretty much everyday i use it. So i am trying to use it only when i really need it from now on just in case it gets worse i will have to get it fixed when i get back to Ireland…



HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD! hope you had a great day, thinking of you here today. Ill bring you back a Hoga hammock.





Just back from the wet lab! its pretty far away from everything else…but it looks good ! I am starting tomorrow at 8am. My coral fragments will be acclimating for the first week so hopefully i will get a good bit of diving in then.

The diving here is seriously amazing, it makes me definitely want to do my dive master next year ! hopefully somewhere with a coral reef!



This is going to be a long blogpost as the internet here has been so bad for the last few days i haven’t really been able to get connection to post this blog.

Over the last few days i have spent a lot of time in the wet lab! We have been setting up our experiment we have LED lights that have coral specific spectrum (similar to sunlight) so that the zooxanthella are able to photosynthesis and the coral are able to grow. We have piped up the whole set up and we are ready to put water into it in the morning and then get the corals. We should be starting habitat characterisation dives starting tuesday where we will do a bit of a survey on the environment the corals we are studying are found. We will also take water samples which we are going to use to assess the different water chemistry found at different sites around Hoga.
<ul class="ul1"><li class="li1">The food here is starting to get a bit repetitive basically rice some form of vegetable and fish every day. Today was nice because we got some butternut squash? do they grow here? i have no idea. Tomorrow night a few of us are going to have dinner on the beach - a man owns a cafe (very basic outdoor cooking) but he makes chips and donuts - i think everyone needs a bit of a change.<li class="li1">We caught a mimic eel this morning when we were doing some fishing to feed the cuttlefish we have in the lab - they look pretty scary because they are almost identical to the banded sea crate which is one of the worlds most deadliest snakes. The mimics look like the deadly snakes because the deadly snakes feed on the mimics - and they are less likely to try and eat one of their own species.<li class="li1">The sunsets are so beautiful here i really want to be able to upload a picture i will try tonight - every night it is so different<li class="li1">just tonight me and my friend walked down the beach back from the lab and kicked up some of the sand and there was shiny blue bioluminescence all along the beach it was amazing<li class="li1">We have been snorkelling a lot this week as well in the morning when we have finished some of the lab work - a lot of the time you can see just as much when you go snorkelling off the jetty as when you go diving<li class="li1">Last night in our lecture we had to stop because a sea crate wondered in (worlds 2nd most deadliest snake)<li class="li1">I am seeing a lot more monitor lizards around they are huge


Hello to everyone reading this .. i miss you



My sim card won’t let me get anymore data so i probably won’t have whatsapp anymore but any text messages i can get!




<ul class="ul1"><li class="li1">P.s Someone just gave me episode 10 of game of thrones on a memory stick so EXCITING


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb