Ok, so we are in Indonesia?!?


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
August 18th 2006
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Doesn't that sound so strange...we are now on a tiny island accessible by high speed ferry from Singapore, called Bintan. It is basically a resort island with most visitors coming from Australia or Japan...although we managed to find one lonely American and it figures he is from Boston! We arrived on Wednesday after our flight from Hong Kong and ferry from Singapore without incident--nothing like Evan's travels earlier in the week. In fact, in Hong Kong they could have cared less about the whole liquids-in-the-carry-on-bag thing. The name of the resort is Angsana and if we didn't have to go through Indonesian customs, you'd think we were in the Caribbean. Everything is priced in USD and everyone can speak English, well British English (each night we are driven to dinner in a "Buggy"-- the local name for a golf kart). We spent yesterday lounging by the pool and getting a little sunburned and today we played golf. The course has several holes that face the ocean and despite the record high temps, it was very beautiful. (BTW we are blaming the heat for our poor performances). Evan will tell you that I was more interested in finding monkeys they concentrating on my drives, and I'd have to agree with him. This place was built over a jungle and I guess you can still find them if you know where to look. We washed some clothes yesterday and hung them on the balcony, we had to take them in at night so that a monkey didn't run off with my underwear.
{Evan's note: I blame the poor performance on rented golf clubs, jet lag, rented golf shoes, and a buggy that drives on the "wrong side", and monkeys.}

After golf we had a massages in this outdoor cabana thing, it was really cool--except that there was a salamader on the roof of the tent and a kid outside screaming for his mother for like 10 minutes. I know, life is rough. Tomorrow morning we continue the island fun with an ATV ride (on the resort property) and then we head to Singapore on the 2:30 ferry.

All in all, this is quite a nice contrast to the density of a place like Hong Kong. A little out of the way, but good for feeling like you are in the middle-of-nowehere...with spotty sattelite TV (Caddyshack was on tonight..with Indonesian subtitles) and free WiFi access. Now, if only we could find a Starbucks via buggy...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

I Think This Is All Just a ShowI Think This Is All Just a Show
I Think This Is All Just a Show

It looks too real...(don't worry, I stink).


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb