More Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amed & Gunung AgungAmed & Gunung AgungAmed & Gunung Agung

You can see the volcano, Gunung Agung, in the background. Amed is like Palm Springs next to the ocean with a black pebble beach - hot and dry.
Sorry guys, somehow my post of Borobudur and Indonesian Borneo didn't get published so just did it now. Chornologically, it's out of order as we went there first when we got to Indonesia.

We went to a couple of other performances in Ubud. For fans of the Bob Hope, Bing Crosby "Road to Bali" movie, the dance that Jane Russell does in the movie is based on the Lebong dance. At times the three girls in the dance slide their heads right and left without moving the rest of their body. They move their arms while keeping their elbows bent at 90 degree angles and lightly flutter their fingers. And they always have eyes wide open as if they were just surprised by a cobra while moving their eyes from far right to left. I loved it.

We also saw a Begong dance that involves a dragon, some monkeys, and a few clown like guys with face paint. It got a bit campy I think for the kids. Lastly we went to a Kecak Ramayana dance at a temple overlooking the ocean at sunset. Instead of a gamelan orchestra, the sounds are made by 70 men who mimic the
Floating palaceFloating palaceFloating palace

A king and his three wives lived here in the early 1900s. They just renovated it about a year ago. Lovely spot with gardens and views of the mountains and the ocean.
sounds of the individual instruments with their mouths. And they sometimes wave their hands and arms around and sway from right to left.

We rented a motor bike and rode around to other parts of the island including some beautiful temples and palaces and surf breaks. More posts coming soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rice terracesRice terraces
Rice terraces

I know I already posted a photo of some other terraces but they are just so lovely, especially with the valley rising behind.
Lebong danceLebong dance
Lebong dance

hubba, hubba!
Sunset at Ulu WatuSunset at Ulu Watu
Sunset at Ulu Watu

As we watched the Ramayana Kecak dance on top of a cliff, the sun sank into the ocean. Quite atmospheric!
Memorail to victims of Bali bombingsMemorail to victims of Bali bombings
Memorail to victims of Bali bombings

This was a very sad site. There were pictures of two sisters who died together in the bombings with notes from their parents about how much they loved and missed them.
DreamlandDreamland
Dreamland

Surfers at a Bali break.
Tana Lot TempleTana Lot Temple
Tana Lot Temple

This temple can only be reached at low tide.
Pilgrims to Tana LotPilgrims to Tana Lot
Pilgrims to Tana Lot

One of the many ceremonies that seem to go on all over Bali every day. These guys crossed the water at low tide to go up and around the curvy path to the temple. Very beautiful to watch and accompanied by Gamelan instruments.
2nd Tana Lot temple2nd Tana Lot temple
2nd Tana Lot temple

Nice sea arch, huh?


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb