Island hopping in Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

 Wedding in Ubud Bali Wedding in Ubud Bali Wedding in Ubud Bali

having a dental on your wedding day!!
Thanks for the messages everyone. Keep writing as its great to hear from you.

MMM the rain followed us from Nz but at least here the downpours are warm.
After a couple of nights in our air con room in the beach resort of Sanur we headed for the cultural centre of Bali UbuD. This bustling market town heaved with all kind of shops and spas to take our money. We fell luck with our home stay hostel, as the owner Madi was getting married, being the natural blaggers that we are ( or was it the Madi's generosity) we ended up with an invite. A traditional Balinese wedding is a veritable feast for the eyes and the taste buds. The brides costume colours were fantastic and the Huge offerings made of coconut and fruits were awesome. The only thing that put us off a little was the part of the ceremony where they had to have their teeth filed, at first it looked as if it was a symbolic gesture but then out came the file ARGH!!

A friend of ours said if you want an adrenalin buzz in Bali hire a car in Denpensar, MMM no
Mount BromoMount BromoMount Bromo

Volcanoe watching at sunrisa
thanks but we did hire push bikes around Ubud and mopeds up the coast a little. The drivers and riders here are crackers the general rule is Iam bigger than you so get out of my way, but the other moped riders nip in and out over and undertake and beep there horns to excess. Its just crazy, but hell a good way to get about.

From Ubud we jumped on a long distance bus to Mt Bromo on Java. On arrival I (Pete this is) seemed to have caught a bug. This man flu combined with a bit of altitude knocked me for 6 I could hardly walk. After a days rest Caz walked and I stumbled and coughed a lot to the sunrise view point at 4am. The view of the 2 dormant volcanoes was great especially when the larger of the 2 spewed out a big plume of ash into the sky.

From the Mountains we decended to the city of Jogyakarta another bustling city which is famous for its Batik paintings. Caroline and I took a batik painting course there Caz managed 3 days I could ony handle the 1 but it was really interesting to see how the wax paintings are made.
From Jogya we took a day trip to the Buddhist temple of Borobadur, this Temple was huge and intricately carved from stone it really was an inspiring and peaceful place.

Indonesia is huge and takes some getting around, unfortunatly our visa info was a bit lacking and we only had 1 month to stay in the country. No! we had to turn back to Bali which just seemed to anoy us. Back in Bali though we did Scuba dive in a place called Tulamben, which has crystal clear waters fantastic fish and a huge WW2 wreck to play around.

From the coast we headed back to Ubud for a couple of days before flying to Singapore to get longer Visa.
I think we stayed in the cheapest hostel in Singapore, it was the only one with any room. It was pretty grim but we did meet plenty of interesting people and the buffet breakfast was HUGE so all was right with the world again. After 4 days of wandering round air conditioned shopping centres and eating too much Indian food (Which burnt my face off it was that hot). We flew bask to Denpensar for round 2 .


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Kecak DanceKecak Dance
Kecak Dance

Funky Monkey
Dinner in SingaporeDinner in Singapore
Dinner in Singapore

Couldn't decide wether to have the lung or brain soup..ummmmmmmmmmm


23rd May 2007

fun time ...
Great to hear from you both , shame those dodgy menu's are not clearing the sinus's Peter but hope ypou are not prevented from doing all that you want too.. It all sounds brilliant , strange wedding rituals ..take good care of yourselves love from mum xxxxx
25th May 2007

lucky old you....
oohhh, we are quite green with envy :0) it looks like big adventure... i think i'd be tempted by the lung soup, myself... nx
11th January 2008

"Mt. Bromo"
An instant favorite and an instant Classic! Great shot!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb