Jayapura


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » West Papua
March 15th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

"In a moment we'll be landing at the Sentani Airport in Jayapura. Please return to your seat, stand back the seat and wear your seat belt. "

***

There is always a sentimental feeling when it comes back to Jayapura, Papua. Small town squeezed between the topography of hills and beaches are always fascinating to a variety of cultural attractions and of course endless. Like diamonds, the more honed Jayapura more beautiful as diamonds.

This is the third time I visit my birth place since 2007. The expensive ticket price and a great distance from Jakarta to make me think twice to visit Jayapura every time.

After receiving permission to leave from the office, on 5 September 2010 in the morning, I was already in terminal 1A Soekarno-Hatta Airport, Jakarta. I chose the flight at 5 am. In addition to cheaper, better arrive there when the sun is still a spirit, right?

There are several national airlines serving flights from Jakarta to Jayapura. Transit path was different. I choose the Lion Air airline because I got cheap ticket. Jakarta-Jayapura Rp. 1.450.000, - is also only once transit in the Sultan Hassanudin, Makassar, South Sulawesi.

***

2.5 hours from Jakarta to Makassar, 30 minutes in transit, 3.5 hours of Makassar to Jayapura, at last Boeing MD-90 landed roughly in a fairly short runway at Sentani Airport, Jayapura. The good thing is, at last legs can be stretched too poor. That bad, I lost Ipod Nano and Headphone Philips from my backpack that is inserted into the trunk. After reporting the local airline officials, he was only able to make a letter lost for the report to head office and speculating at length and more upset.

I recommend that you come to Jayapura in addition to the month of Ramadhan (moslem fasting season). The town is approximately 1 meter height above sea level, of course, have an abundance of light from the sun a lot. Minute you are standing outside at 9 am, must have been sweating like I experienced today. However, I came across Matoa fruiting season. That supposedly endemic fruit is sold in every corner of the city. No responsibility, one kilo of matoa costs Rp. 50.000, -! Flesh of fruit is shaped like litchi fruit. It was a jumble of durian, litchi and rambutan. To be sure, it feels sweet. Do not be greedy eating this fruit if you do not want sore throat three weeks later as my fate.

Nothing has changed from the old shore I left. The coastal line are separated by a building owned BMKG weather observers. To the right, full of rocks, broken glass and a coarse sand beach. To the left, there was no rock at all. But it is rare that swim there.

From this beach, seemingly two small islands that look like a fortress guarding the town of Jayapura. Interestingly, two adjacent islands which is inhabited by people who hold different religious beliefs. Tower-shaped island that is inhabited by the population are Christian crosses. Adjacent island inhabited by Moslem population. And incredibly, since I was born until now had never heard of two of the island to fight each other because of differences. They live in harmony in diversity.

There are a few things changed. Aston Hotels and Swiss-Bell hotel has stood here. Exclusive cafes began to dare to expand its business far from Jakarta. But here the only cinema, Imbi is located in the park have long been close to bankruptcy.

A week is never enough to vacation at the eastern tip of Indonesia. There are so many beautiful beaches here, the hills to see the landscape of Jayapura. And also, the sun looks larger here. unfortunately I was too lazy to get up early and takes a picture.

Sentani Festival. This annual festival has become a mainstay of the local tourism agencies to attract local and foreign tourists to come here is promising for the advancement of urban development. But there is disappointment that I feel. Dock 2 beach, which does not change, food prices are expensive, and tariff entry tourist sites that are not fair to be some obstacles that might be addressed better. And certainly, if the tickets price is cheaper, Jayapura is no longer a mere dream destination.

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/beatdacore/sets/72157624841389503/


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



1st December 2012

My Dream Country
Papua and the East Indonesian Islands could be the country of my dreams, not only to travel but also to live there. I have the "Malaysia-my-second-home" status, which is a safe and acceptable way to stay. But what is Malaysia compared to East Indonesia?! Unfortunately the Indonesian Government has so strict and harsh rules for traveling, and residence is almost impossible. So it may stay a dream...so sorry!!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb