Our stay at Tuk Tuk


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Lake Toba
May 9th 2012
Published: June 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuk Tuk is the first village you embark on Samosir Island. Samosir Actually isn't an Island because there is a very little connection with the mainland on the other side. Lake Toba is the biggest lake in Indonesia, formed by a gigantic volcanic eruption around 30.000 to 75.000 years ago. The island Samosir is nearly as big as Singapore, and the lake is up to 450meters deep! This is a part of Batak Kingdom, a people that kept all other tribes and religions out until missionaries started popping up all over the world. They are proud of their history and folklore. Always a guitar within reach.

After Skyes and Papas early morning dip in the lake, breakfast with probably the strongest coffee so far. We got ready for the day, until very late none of our companions on the ferry had shown up. Too much Batak folklore I guess!!!!!!

We did a walk up the road outside Bagus, it was very warm and after some time we headed back down to get some lunch and go for a swim, the lake is very nice cool and clear. The kids enjoyed it very much, it is the perfect place to relax. So that’s what you do.

The second morning after the very nice pancakes, we left for renting bikes, but came back on scooters, moeke and Liv on one and papa, Skye and Ask on another. We left for the stone chairs of king Sibolagan. A small village of traditional Batak houses, some habited by the ancestors of the King but one left unused so we could step a few hundred years back in time.

A very lively guide picked us out- we were the only ones here - we got a lively explanation of Batak life and how a court case (adat) was run up until round 1820. with torture by slicing of the accused prisoners skin a bit of chili and gralic rubbing, eating of eyes and brain with a bit of lemon, not to be cruel or because The king was especially blood thirsty but what is necessary is necessary;;;;;;;

Last day we were fishing all day, but our skills are not worth writing about, Liv though caught a lot of baby fish with her net. Papa wanted to go for big game and went out on a row boat with Ask, but we nearly did a Titanic, I stepped through the bottom, and we abandoned the sinking vessel in harbour so fast back to dock, took a Batak canoe instead but even me a capable viking found that not so easy to handle, so better leave those to the Bataks.

We could easily stay longer and understand why quite a few Backpackers hang out longer here than they intended on arriving here. Tommorow it is time for the Tarzan in us all, we head for Bukit Lavang for the Orangutan's.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb