We Love Sumatera


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Bukit Lawang
August 31st 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

After we got our visas for India we took the next flight to the North of Sumatera. We got in to the capital of Northern Sumatera and quickly got a bus up to Bukit Luwang. It was so nice up there. It was not to hot and it was just a quiet village so it was a nice change for us. The 1st day we just chilled and checked out a bat cave that was a little scary on our own. A guy there had a python and a moon snake that he had as pets. The next day we went on a jungle trek that was very hot and sweaty. It was the best trek that we have been on by far. There were so many wild animals. We saw, scorpions, monkeys, and wild orangutans. At 1st they were so far up in the tree you could barely make them out. Just that was amazing to see in the jungle. Then they slowly got closer until they were close enough to touch. They were massive and it seemed like the trees could barley hold there weight. It was so cool to see them in the wild. The next day we tubed down the river and had a couple beers and just relaxed.
Next we went to Berastagi to go check out some volcanoes. We trekked up one with out a guide and got to even climb into the crater after a 3 hour hike to the top. It was like being on the moon and the sides of the volcano had steam coming out of it that was as load as a plane taking off and the smell of sulfur made us weak at the knees. All worth the views though. On the way back we had a swim in the hot springs that were heated by the volcano which were a nice end to the 2 hour trek back down.
Then our last spot in Indo was Lake Toba. It was cheap and so beautiful. It use to be the old Thailand so there were so many abandoned guest houses and bars that created a ghost town feel. It was so cheap and the lake reminded us of the interior at home. The 1st time we have felt at home for a long time, with a lawn chair and beer in hand looking at a massive lake surrounded by mountain. We are so lucky to live in B.C.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



4th October 2009

Hi
Hi, My 18-year-old daughter just traveled from California to stay with a family living outside of Bukit Lawang for 6 weeks. She will be teaching English there to kids, and going on a week long trek in the jungle. I have been really worried over the whole trip and the safety. It is good to see and read blogs like yours. Thank you! :-) Coreen

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb