Strange Sengigi


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Sengigi
July 25th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, we left Gili T on the local boat over to Lombok. When you arrive on Lombok you have to run the gauntlet at bangsal harbour, they drop you off at the harbour and you walk about 10 mins up the road to the bus station. On the way you are harassed and generally annoyed by hundreds of people trying to take your ticket, sell you a ticket, sell you a sharks tooth necklace and well pretty much just hindering you! We made it to the bus station and managed to hold on to our ticket ( a few people gave theirs to someone and had to pay all over again!) and we were eventually herded onto the worlds worst minibus where we stopped en route with the bus full to get a bit of air in the tyres!?! The half hour journey turned into two and we were unceremoniously evicted in Sengigi. Everyone we had spoken to on the Gili's had said how beautiful and unspoiled Sengigi was but on arrival it was more like a ghost town. The beach was pretty dirty and there were loads of bars, cafe's and hotels that were half built and derelict, it was a pretty weird place but nevertheless we had a stroll down the beach and eventually found ourselves somewhere to stay. Again the prices were pretty steep in comparison to where we have been but we were very glad to get some electric and hot and unsalted water to wash in!! Because we left one of the bags in Ubud, I realised that I had left the majority of my tablets in Ubud and we therefore spent an afternoon at the local clinic to get a prescription and then two hours in a cab trying to find my tablets, to no avail. We were going onto Java from Lombok but as I only had a weeks worth of tablets left and with the recent bombings in Jakarta we decided to give Java a miss. We spent a couple of days in Sengigi but the sea was very rough and you couldn't swim in it and the weather had turned pretty miserable, so, we decided to try another one of the Gili's for a few days! So after a few days of being soaked all day and having to stay in our room to avoid the beach boys, who do not leave you alone for the moment you wake up, even when having breakfast etc we got another dodgy minibus and headed back to Bangsal, through the worlds most annoying touts (so far) and made our way over to Gili Air! Lets hope better luck second time round!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our roomOur room
Our room

Hot desalinated water......heavenly!!!!!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb