Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
July 13th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kuta sunset.Kuta sunset.Kuta sunset.

Its interesting that Asian people in general do not sunbath, wear swimsuits (rarely a bikini) or swim in the ocean. Lots of people on the beach at sunset but fully clothed.
My solo adventure in Indonesia has been fantastic. After saying goodbyes to Robin in Singapore I flew into Bali staying for a few days in Kuta to orient myself and get use to being alone. First impressions of Bali are not great and will be confirmed when I return later. It is looking kind of tired and worn out, over developed and over-run. More about that later.

Took the slow boat over the the next island of Lombok. Very different from Bali - more Indonesian - headed to the 3 Gili islands where I stayed for 8 days mostly on Trewangan. Promoted as having great coral and dive sites I was looking forward to some good snorkelling. Alas. While I saw some good patches here and there it was mostly dead. Either spoiled from dynamite fishing in the recent past, cyanide fishing, indiscriminate anchoring and other shameful human actions. Action is being taken to restore what was lost but I fear the pressures from tourism may defeat these efforts that take so long.

So the quest to find good coral takes me on a boat trip 400km east to Komodo and Rinca islands. Rinca has all the dragons and
Kuta templeKuta templeKuta temple

If you like temples you will love Bali. There is one around every corner.
very professional guides to show you around without getting eaten. The Komodo Dragons truly are phenomenal creatures. One little nip or scratch and you or their favorite food the buffalo is dead from blood poisoning in about two weeks. Apparently an agonizing and gruesome thing to watch.

So the coral shangrila was found off Komodo Island. Score cards registered 10 across. Coral/Fish/Water quality. I was speachless for days after. Better than anything I have ever seen. Oh I am a lucky man.

I have to tell you about the boat. 4 days, 12 passengers on this old fishing trawler. NO GPS, no radio, no life jackets, no lifeboat, no muffler on the engine, straight hole toilet, no galley (but surprisingly good meals produced on the deck floor and hibachi). Of coarse we all survived and will probably remember the trip for the rest of our lives. It ended in Labuanbajo on Flores Island, A place I would go back to in a shot. Flew back to Bali to finish out the time left on my 30 day visa.

I had heard the best snorkelling in Bali was in Amed which where I headed. Spent a few days
Kuta Shopping meccaKuta Shopping meccaKuta Shopping mecca

Bars, clubs and shopping, shopping, shopping. That is Kuta. Good surfing I hear if you are a surfer.
splashing about finding nothing worth mentioning other than a few great massages. Headed to Lovina Beach, again very dissaponted. dirty beach, polluted water, appalling dolphin chasing tours for tourists. All kinds of things that were rather upsetting. I ran into an interesting couple of like minds(Norbert and Karin)from Australia . We stoked each other up to do a little political activism on behalf of the planet and Bali. Maybe we did some good. We talked to a few local mayors and business leaders about the enviromental future they were facing if policies were not implimented.

I did end up finding some decent coral at the extreme west end of Bali at Menangan National Park.

All in all I would love to go back to Indonesia and explore some more. Incredible country. Very cheap once you get there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Abandoned condo projects, Lovina BeachAbandoned condo projects, Lovina Beach
Abandoned condo projects, Lovina Beach

The bombing killed tourism for quite a few years. Slowly recouvering. A bit of desperation in the air.


17th July 2008

Good to hear from you, Allan
I really enjoyed reading your Indonesia chapter. Sending lots of love e
17th July 2008

great blog guys... you're putting in a lot more effort than i. I'm looking forward to mom's much different dhaka blog. you guys most be happy to be back in thailand (probably feels like home now)
21st July 2008

well done salty sailor
Hey Al Great exploration. That's what we need - just the directions to the best place. And that is beautiful according to your pictures. Thanks - love to both of you shelley
25th July 2008

Great adventure!
Wonderful photos; interesting take on the damage of "over-tourism". Great that you felt you would and could express your concerns.
27th July 2008

what do you think of the Bangla blog
Hey Logs -and hugs from Vientiane, Laos. We have found a free -with a drink! - WiFi restaurant and I did the Bangla blog last night -Am interested in what you think of it... xoxoxo Love Mum
27th July 2008

thanks Elizabeth
really nice pics eh? :) Love from Al and me - Robin
27th July 2008

Great to hear from you David!
More to come! Love from Laos - Al and Robin xoxoxox
27th July 2008

Thanks Shelley!
and hugs to you and Dan and the girls from Laos! xoxox Al and Robin

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb