Frolicking with the orangutans in Kalimantan.


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Kalimantan
October 8th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow!!! What an amazing time we just had!! Thankgod me and Steve were there to help out the team with our tried and tested DIY skills! Somehow we managed to help build a release site for rehabilitated orangutans in the middle of the forest...It was really hard work, we both found out that we are not particularly gifted at sawing, chiseling, hammering, cementing, making ceilings, making furniture, painitng etc etc.. but the buidling went up! There had been so much rain that the entire area was flooded so we didn't even get to walk anywhere for 4 weeks, I can just about get from sitting to standing now without screaming in agony!

We have been bitten by a million mosquitos but so far have avoided malaria unlike our project leader who already caught it twice this summer (brilliant weight loss though, he lost 20kgs!).......

There are so many stories and adventures to tell that we hardly know where to start! The most random thing has got to be having a fancy dress birthday party in the middle of the forest, getting really drunk on home brew dressed as a strong man and britney spears is very random!! But yes Steve did do the bendy stick, what a guy!!

Another amazing adventure was being stuck in the boat over night (thanks jason!) paddling against the current for a whole night (thanks for the help pak Matjuri!) and cutting our hands to ribbons on sharp palms pulling the boat along!!

The orangutans are such amazing animals and when they cuddle you it really is hard to get mad at them for pinching your soap, clothes, coffee etc.....The more tame ones also climb all over you..it was so cool, both of us are desperate to get back there!! If we can get 6 weeks off work next year then we will be back!!! The pictures should speak for themselves and its really hard to put into words what its like to wash in the river, go to the toilet in the river and sleep out in the forest under the stars!! Don't get us wrong we have enjoyed hot water since, but we really can't wait to go back!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb