Java Catch Up


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java
January 25th 2014
Published: January 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travel blogs photo of the week!Travel blogs photo of the week!Travel blogs photo of the week!

If only I could claim credit for it - me on Petronas Towers walkway
Photo of the Week

I seem to have been awarded photo of the week from this site for the photo of me on the walkway of the Petronas Towers. If only I could claim it was my idea to do such an arty shot - I have the security guard to thank.

Train Trip

We travelled from Jogjakarta to the vicinity of Bromo by train. Jogjakarta Station is a rather lovely Art Deco building. Inside you cross the tracks via ramps, so look out for trains! We traveled 'Executive Class' which was very comfortable, the seats were like airline seats but with more leg room than I have ever experienced on an aircraft!!! The journey lasted for four hours and it was paddy fields all the way. We were amused by the smartly dressed ticket inspector and his beautiful assistant who came to check all the tickets against his ledger to ensure everyone was in the correct seat. British Rail will never be this classy.

Education

We enjoyed learning how rubber was processed as have attached a load of pictures. The rubber from the privately owned Kaliklatak Plantation is used to make many products including tyres. The tree tappers start work at 4am so that the latex can be collected and processed on the same day. It is mixed with water and an acid and left to solidify for a few hours then put in sheets through a series of mangles to squeeze out the water, the final mangle leaving a stamp of the name of the plantation on it. It is then hung up like washing for a while and then moved to drying rooms where it stays for about a week. After that the sheets arepressed into a big block ready to be sold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



25th January 2014
Jogjakarta Railway Station

On my list
Yes Sally I will be seriously looking at a trip like this in the near future, it all looks fantastic. Mick
30th January 2014

Rubber Production
Did the trip in the executive train make you home sick for the morning commute?

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb