FACES OF JAVA...THE MEN


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java
May 26th 2012
Published: May 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

JAVA...THE MEN.

When Surabaya travels to Yogyakarta...to play Football ...the local Police are ready for trouble...ready to meet the "Football Hooligan"...ready and waiting.

But unlike the "riot squad" attitude necessary in some parts of the World...in Java they have discovered the answer...

how to control the "Football Hooligan"...Javan style.


There was a time when Surabayan supporters...packed into a 5 hour train ride to Yogy...arriving hungry...going through the warungs that had assembled to feed the masses...vendors complaining they were not paid...some warungs trashed...fights...more fights...opposing supporters...Police busy.

Then someone in the Police...the Polisi...had an idea.

So now when Surabaya travels to Yogyakarta...to play Football...the local Police are ready...ready to meet the Surabaya supporters.

On arrival they are each given a bowl of rice and a cup of tea...they don't trash the warungs...businesses happy...pay half price to get into the match...50,000 rph...Yogy supporters pay usual entry...100,000 rph...they're not happy about that...but peace comes at a price...the crowd fed and content...Football Hooligan...what is that?..no problem here.!!!

Throughout Java they play football...on the beaches...by the road...village pitches...in the highlands...overlooked by volcanoes...smiles & flashing feet...the ball on a string.

I used to watch them playing in a lush wet field...from our balcony at Pondok Tinggal at
YOGYYOGYYOGY

Guardian of the Sultan's Palace
Borobudur...every afternoon...arriving in their fancy glossy shirts...rain or shine...enthusiastic plus...skillful as...dreaming of playing in stadiums...girls adoring.

In East Java we entered a village at the call of prayer...women in headscarfs...men traditionally capped...heading towards the mosque.

Next to the mosque...a football field...a group of about twenty men...standing around chatting...twirling footballs...under the goalposts adjacent to the mosque...not heeding the call from the speakers just there...a scene etched in my memory...wondering if the Iman will yell at them..."Oi get in here"...kinda think their minds are on other things!

Brought me back to a sunny afternoon in Buenos Aires, Argentina...signs of yesterdays demonstration well gone...the public again welcome.

We sat watching some street kids...aged between about 10 to about 18...dividing into two...one football...game on. As is the case in sport...the most skillful shine...the older boy with the white bleached hair...flicking the ball with his foot onto his chest...running with the ball somehow still on his chest...no hands...I have never seen this level of skill before...and being a football tragic I've seen heaps of the best.

An older boy approaches with a shock of brown hair...girl tucked under his arm...pashing her every now and then...showing off to the other boys...he
TENGGERTENGGERTENGGER

Bromo caldera
not asking to play...but trying to take over...the air of frivolity cut by his presence...he pashes her again...takes off his shirt...starts throwing stones at one of the skilful younger boys...the bleached haired boy just sitting on the ground...the entrance of the thug has killed the game completely...real shame...recall the thug tried to kill the ball...we concerned the ambient air has been replaced with foreboding.

Had a chat to the bleached haired boy...me anxious to know if he played in a team...his skill too high to ignore...but no...can't really afford it...yeh he's been asked...prefers to play with his mates...for free.

And back to the present...as I watch the Javan lads playing football just here...legs and ball flying...in a wet field...I think of the Manchester City v Sunderland game I saw on TV at Ijen...when Sunderland scored in the last minute...upset win 2-1...now Man U are level with Man City on points...BUT...do I really care?

Do I?

Yeh...I do.

And...

I still think it was off-side..!!!



Relax & Enjoy,

Dancing Dave



P.S. More portraits in my other Java blogs & next blog "FACES OF JAVA...THE WOMEN"


Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

DARJOTDARJOT
DARJOT

Our boat mechanic to Krakatau
CANDI BUBRAHCANDI BUBRAH
CANDI BUBRAH

Smiling stonemason & jigsaw maker
ABRAHAMABRAHAM
ABRAHAM

Our Guide for Jakarta & Krakatau
YOGYAKARTAYOGYAKARTA
YOGYAKARTA

Guardian of the Sultan's Palace
THE IMANTHE IMAN
THE IMAN

Cheng Hoo Mosque, Surabaya
SAMSURISAMSURI
SAMSURI

Our fearless fast boat driver to Krakatau
EDDYEDDY
EDDY

Our driver to Anyer & Carita Beach & return to Jakarta
AMINAMIN
AMIN

Fast boat crew to Krakatau...possibly the owner...best cup of coffee in Java on our return


26th May 2012

The power of a bowl of rice and cup of tea.....
What a great idea - I like the attitude of the polisi in coming up with the solution too. Wonder if the power of rice and tea would extend as far as boosting mosque attendance numbers......
27th May 2012

THANKS JO
The power of rice & tea...indeed a perceptive idea. Would it increase mosque attendance or do they do it already? A very good question...maybe some of our readers could throw light on this.
26th May 2012

Postmodern ethnography
I love it! An alternative geographic map of Indonesia.
27th May 2012

THANKS ZAC
I hadn't thought of your angle before...but I like it. Thanks for commenting.
27th May 2012

THANKS ZAK
Sorry I can't spell...Zak with a K.
26th May 2012

Indonesia is a great...
Indonesia is a great destination for holiday interesting article about Bali
27th May 2012

THANKS KATE
Hope you meant "Java" not "Bali". Thanks for posting a comment.
26th May 2012

great pics
I like your pictures, they show a collection of faces, dramatical expressions. Tell me, how did you travel inside Indonesia? Was it easy? dangerous? how? thank you, I am planning my trip. Hugs from Argentina. Graciela.
27th May 2012

THANKS GRACIELA
A little story in Argentina as well in this blog. As to Java...what a great destination...arranged over the Internet...our itinerary...Java Tourism pulling it together...safe as. The pictures tell the story...wonderfully warm and friendly people. Now Graciela, you are a regular visitor to Travelblog...its about time your name came up as a member with a nice profile pic...don't you think????
27th May 2012

Can we expect to see...
Faces of Java...the Women?
27th May 2012

YES BOB
First FACES OF JAVA...THE MEN...then next blog THE WOMEN...possibly my most challenging blog...why?...watch this space.
27th May 2012

I have a picture
Yes, you are right. There SHOULD BE a picture I downloaded once ago. Where is it????!!!!! It was in my profile. Hey, Travelblog, what´s up???
28th May 2012

I really enjoyed the tale of the kids playing football in the streets of Buenos Aires. It's unfortunate that the game was interrupted, but makes for great sociological observation. Looking forward to the next one, as always! :)
28th May 2012

THANKS MICHELLE
When's the next party? We are missing you guys!
29th May 2012

That's what I'm asking! Currently in hobo status, we might have to throw the party at your place. ;]
29th May 2012

You have a way with portrait photography
You seem to capture personality. Loved your football story. Travel certainly expands our thoughts.
31st May 2012

interesting story;-)
great idea they have over there and your photos are fab as always Dave;-) Beata
31st May 2012

THANKS BEATA
Great to hear from you...I'll soon be blogging China...watch this space.
31st May 2012

essence
David - I am loving the photo of darjot - you have captured his charm & possibly rascally nature-it draws me in & makes me smile & also enjoying javan - I see a "royal aloofness" about him - wonder what his story is?... I want to interview him.
4th June 2012

A new business venture
Establish the "Dancing Dave School of Portraiture" for aspiring photographers and it is a certain money earner - I'll be enrolling!
4th June 2012

THANKS SHANE...DDSOP
DDSOP...has a sort of ring to it...thanks for your comment...and your Enrolment Form...much appreciated. And for something a little different...next blog...The Women!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb